Mysterious Green Stars in Patriotic Photos

In summary: This is when the person producing the photo decides to color certain objects green for some reason. The color of stars is determined by their surface temperature, with cooler stars appearing red, intermediate stars appearing white, and hotter stars appearing blue. However, when there is intervening dust and gas clouds, the color of the stars can be affected. This can cause a false color effect, resulting in some stars appearing green. Green stars in particular could be caused by the entropy effect, where the radiation's energy is dissipated and elongated towards the equilibrium in the low temperature background radiation. This explains why distant galaxies, also known as quasars, appear redshifted
mee
in some photos, mixed among the red white and blue stars, are green stars. Any idea what causes this?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It sounds to me it is a false color phenomenom, i.e. whoever produced the picture decided to color some things green for some reason. Color is determined by surface temperature. Cooler stars are red, intermediate are white, and hotter are blue.

Most likely due to intervening dust and gas clouds.

Last edited:
When you said green, it reminded me of something from my astronomy textbook, but I am not sure if this has any bearing on your question:

"The average temperature of the photosphere (of our Sun) is about 5800 K, corresponding to a thermal radiation spectrum that peaks in the green portion of the visible spectrum with substantial energy coming out in all colors of light. The sun appears whitish when seen from space, but in our sky the Sun appears somewhat more yellow - and even red at sunset - because Earth's atmosphere scatters blue light." - The Cosmic Perspective, 3rd ed, Bennett, et al

Anyway, just an interesting side note.

Quasars' colours

mee said:
in some photos, mixed among the red white and blue stars, are green stars. Any idea what causes this?
Very high redshifted galaxies appears as point-like objects (interpreted and defined as quasi-stellar objects and called quasars ) smaller than a galaxy depending on its great distances.

Are those (point-like) distant galaxies what you mean by the red, white, blue and green “stars”?

The explanation to the galaxies' changing color with the distance is, that their energy-wavelength curves (Planck curve) are moving towards the longer (red) wavelengths caused by the entropy effect that is the mechanism that forces the radiation's energy by dissipation--that is energy reduction and wave-elongation--towards equilibrium in the low temperature back-ground radiation.

Depending on the distance, the peak of a galaxy’s energy-curve is moving (displaced) to red, and its gradient (proportion or distribution of energy over the optical spectrum) changes inclination (angle). So, compare with a near galaxy with a “normal” distribution gradient (ratio) over spectrum that appears white to us, the gradient changes its inclination with the distance and the radiation that reach us get more energy at its blue side (and later red side) of the spectrum.

So, with further distance, the peak of the energy-wavelength curve is further displaced on its way to us, and the gradient’s inclination changes when the peak passes through the colour spectrum and the radiation’s colour change relative to the distance to us. The more distant galaxy, the more displaced is the peak over the colour spectrum, and the galaxies' colour changes with the distance, from white over blue to red.

Consequently, with more distance to the galaxies, the more they are redshifted, and the more displaced is the energy-wavelength curve that causes the change of the light’s apparent colour that reach us. At the most distant galaxies (interpreted as quasars) the “Planck-curve” has moved by the distance to the redder end, so that the red colour that reach us has got most energy, and those galaxies appears as red. By this entropy-effect, the radiation's displacement and dissipation on its way changes the galaxies' colour with the distance.

The "quasars" (=galaxies) just apparently huge radiation is caused by the entropy-dissipation effect (defined and predicted by Clausius who didn't agree with Boltzmann's provisional statistical entropy interpretation) that is demonstrated by the combination of the laws of physics by Wien and Stefan-Boltzmann that a galaxy's energy that reach us is displaced proportional to the distance according to this simplified algorithm E=z^4. So if we observe a galaxy that is redshifted 10 times (z=10), its emitted radiation is 10x10x10x10=10 000 times higher than the radiation that reach us. This drop of energy is the dissipating entropy-effect that drives the radiation forward.

Maartin Smith at http://www.astro.psu.edu/users/dps/surveys.html said about the energy mystery of the quasars and their unknown strange nature: they had discovered the 6.82 quasar that was redshifted from 1216 Angstrom to 8300 Angstrom:
"Quasars are the most luminous known object; they emit between 10 and 1000 times the energy of our galaxy." (...) "The standard model for the energy source of quasars is accretion of matter onto a large (ca.100 million solar mass) black hole."

My understandable explanation and simple calculation show that the radiation's emitted energy from this "6.82 quasar" is 6.82^4 (=2100) times higher than the radiation we receive.

Look also at my reply at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=36805

Last edited by a moderator:
Ingvar Astrand said:
Very high redshifted galaxies appears as point-like objects (interpreted and defined as quasi-stellar objects and called quasars ) smaller than a galaxy depending on its great distances.

Are those (point-like) distant galaxies what you mean by the red, white, blue and green “stars”?

The explanation to the galaxies' changing color with the distance is, that their energy-wavelength curves (Planck curve) are moving towards the longer (red) wavelengths caused by the entropy effect that is the mechanism that forces the radiation's energy by dissipation--that is energy reduction and wave-elongation--towards equilibrium in the low temperature back-ground radiation.

Depending on the distance, the peak of a galaxy’s energy-curve is moving (displaced) to red, and its gradient (proportion or distribution of energy over the optical spectrum) changes inclination (angle). So, compare with a near galaxy with a “normal” distribution gradient (ratio) over spectrum that appears white to us, the gradient changes its inclination with the distance and the radiation that reach us get more energy at its blue side (and later red side) of the spectrum.

So, with further distance, the peak of the energy-wavelength curve is further displaced on its way to us, and the gradient’s inclination changes when the peak passes through the colour spectrum and the radiation’s colour change relative to the distance to us. The more distant galaxy, the more displaced is the peak over the colour spectrum, and the galaxies' colour changes with the distance, from white over blue to red.

Consequently, with more distance to the galaxies, the more they are redshifted, and the more displaced is the energy-wavelength curve that causes the change of the light’s apparent colour that reach us. At the most distant galaxies (interpreted as quasars) the “Planck-curve” has moved by the distance to the redder end, so that the red colour that reach us has got most energy, and those galaxies appears as red. By this entropy-effect, the radiation's displacement and dissipation on its way changes the galaxies' colour with the distance.

The "quasars" (=galaxies) just apparently huge radiation is caused by the entropy-dissipation effect (defined and predicted by Clausius who didn't agree with Boltzmann's provisional statistical entropy interpretation) that is demonstrated by the combination of the laws of physics by Wien and Stefan-Boltzmann that a galaxy's energy that reach us is displaced proportional to the distance according to this simplified algorithm E=z^4. So if we observe a galaxy that is redshifted 10 times (z=10), its emitted radiation is 10x10x10x10=10 000 times higher than the radiation that reach us. This drop of energy is the dissipating entropy-effect that drives the radiation forward.

Maartin Smith at http://www.astro.psu.edu/users/dps/surveys.html said about the energy mystery of the quasars and their unknown strange nature: they had discovered the 6.82 quasar that was redshifted from 1216 Angstrom to 8300 Angstrom:
"Quasars are the most luminous known object; they emit between 10 and 1000 times the energy of our galaxy." (...) "The standard model for the energy source of quasars is accretion of matter onto a large (ca.100 million solar mass) black hole."

My understandable explanation and simple calculation show that the radiation's emitted energy from this "6.82 quasar" is 6.82^4 (=2100) times higher than the radiation we receive.

Look also at my reply at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=36805

No the "green stars" were in the foreground. Quite bright. Go here to see what I was talking about.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap030531.html

Last edited by a moderator:
There appears to be one bright white star with a green fringe. It seems to be some sort of optical aberation.

mathman said:
There appears to be one bright white star with a green fringe. It seems to be some sort of optical aberation.

If it is an optical aberration why are not the other stars affected as well making them green?

The key to answering this question is here: "About the Image: Wavelength: Natural color reconstruction from three filters (I,B,U)". In other words, the HST took three separate piccies, in the I, B, and U wavebands. Then someone used an image processing tool - not unlike Photoshop - to create something more like a three-colour RGB image. Since two the of wavebands are, in fact, largely 'invisible' (I and U) to human eyes, the 'reconstruction' cannot be perfect; in the case of the bright 'green' star, it is clearly not even 'good'.

It might be a fun thing to try and work out what sort of 'IBU' colours the 'green star' probably has, by reverse engineering the 'reconstruction' transformation.

Nereid said:
The key to answering this question is here: "About the Image: Wavelength: Natural color reconstruction from three filters (I,B,U)". In other words, the HST took three separate piccies, in the I, B, and U wavebands. Then someone used an image processing tool - not unlike Photoshop - to create something more like a three-colour RGB image. Since two the of wavebands are, in fact, largely 'invisible' (I and U) to human eyes, the 'reconstruction' cannot be perfect; in the case of the bright 'green' star, it is clearly not even 'good'.

It might be a fun thing to try and work out what sort of 'IBU' colours the 'green star' probably has, by reverse engineering the 'reconstruction' transformation.

"There is a big difference between ordinary novas (all are binary stars with a white dwarf companion) and supernovas. Antares does have a distant (green!) companion, but it is a red super giant itself, and will likely become a "Type II supernova" eventually. "

Someone on a mailing list I belong to wrote the previous quote. He seems to think there are green stars and is quite a physicist from what I have seen in his other posts.

mee said:
"There is a big difference between ordinary novas (all are binary stars with a white dwarf companion) and supernovas. Antares does have a distant (green!) companion, but it is a red super giant itself, and will likely become a "Type II supernova" eventually. "

Someone on a mailing list I belong to wrote the previous quote. He seems to think there are green stars and is quite a physicist from what I have seen in his other posts.
Ah the tricks our eyes play on us!

Yes, Antares' companion does indeed look green through the eyepiece of an amateur's telescope! As do many other stars; one of the delights of double stars is the astonishing range of colour contrasts between the two stars. Sadly, it's primarily a 'brain trick' - you've probably seen those 'square in a square' cards? The inner square of any pair is, in fact, the same colour; the outer square has very different colours, and our eyes (brain, actually) think we see the inner square as having quite different colours. I'm told that artists learn early on to paint 'shadows' with coloured tinges - add purple, if it's a shadow in a yellow context, add green if red, and so on.

The 'true colour' of a star is a plot of intensity vs wavelength (an example )

Maybe the stars are just sick? Guess they ate a bad planet.

Entropy said:
Maybe the stars are just sick? Guess they ate a bad planet.

Dear god...science humour...not as bad as the " h(bar) and grill"...that one's real bad.

The green color is centered in the spectrum, so a star which emission has a peak in the green color, appears to be white. If we take a (chemical) photo, then the optics, atmosphere, etc may distort the colors and make stars appear in false color. Thats why a star appears to be green or else.

MiGUi said:
The green color is centered in the spectrum, so a star which emission has a peak in the green color, appears to be white. If we take a (chemical) photo, then the optics, atmosphere, etc may distort the colors and make stars appear in false color. Thats why a star appears to be green or else.

but I have heard of stars appearing green to the naked eye using backyard telescopes.

mee said:
but I have heard of stars appearing green to the naked eye using backyard telescopes.

achromatic refractor possibly?

1. What causes the green stars in patriotic photos?

The green stars in patriotic photos are caused by a phenomenon known as lens flare. This occurs when light from a bright source, such as the sun or a flash, reflects off the camera lens and creates a colored artifact in the photo.

2. Are these green stars a sign of something supernatural?

No, the green stars in patriotic photos are not a sign of anything supernatural. They are simply a result of the camera's lens and the angle at which the photo was taken.

3. Why are the green stars only seen in patriotic photos?

The green stars are not exclusive to patriotic photos, but they may appear more frequently in these types of photos due to the use of bright colors, such as red, white, and blue, which can enhance the lens flare effect.

4. Can the green stars be manipulated or added to a photo?

Yes, it is possible to manipulate or add green stars to a photo using photo editing software. However, these manipulated stars will not have the same natural appearance as those caused by lens flare.

5. Are there any ways to prevent or minimize the appearance of green stars in photos?

To minimize the appearance of green stars in photos, it is recommended to avoid shooting directly into the sun or using a flash when taking photos. Additionally, using a lens hood or adjusting the angle of the camera can also help reduce the occurrence of lens flare.