What is the Locus of Roots in a Cubic Equation with Complex Numbers?

In summary, the given cubic equation has one root at 1 + 2i and the value of the real constant a is 1. The roots of the equation can be shown on an Argand Diagram, and the locus represented by the equation |6z - 1| = 13 is a circle with center at (1/6, 0) and radius 13/6. However, the question specifically asks for the locus to be represented by the equation |6z - 1| = 13, and since this equation does not satisfy the given roots, the correct locus should be a circle centered at (1, 0) with radius 13. This highlights the importance of using correct algebraic techniques and paying
jammed
Hey i have a question:

Q. One root of the cubic equation is z^3 + az + 10 = 0 is 1 + 2i.
(i). Find the value of the real constant a.
(ii). Show all the roots of the equation on an Argand Diagram.
(iii). Show that all three roots satisfy the equation |6z - 1| = 13, and show the locus represented by this equation on your diagram.

I did (i) and (ii) second part easily. The only problem I am facing is that of locus. I mean if the last part was like |z - 1| = 13, I know that the locus is a circle of radius 13 with center (1,0) but here it is different. I mean does 6z affect the locus. If it does then what should be the locus and if it doesnot what is the reason behind it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
|6z-1|=13 is the same as |z-1/6|= 13/6, so you have a center at (1/6,0) and a radius of 13/6.

Are you sure about this? I did it this way but my teacher marked it as wrong saying it should still be at center (1,0) and radius 13.

And I bet your teacher never gave you a reason why it should still be that way.

Ask him/her where the error is in making the following steps:

[tex]|6z-1|=13[/tex]

[tex]|6(z-1/6)|=13[/tex]

[tex]|6||z-1/6|=13[/tex]

[tex]6|z-1/6|=13[/tex]

[tex]|z-1/6|=13/6[/tex]

By the way, for it to be centre (1,0) and radius 13 it has to simply be |z-1|=13
Why would we just ignore the change from z to 6z?

Your point is absolutely valid if it had to be center (1,0) and radius 13 then why change z to 6z. I will ask him and you are right he never told us why it was that way. Thanks for your help. It is really appreciated!

It's just that I was able to empathize for your position in this. Two years ago when I was in school we were short on books in our complex numbers class so I didn't have one. So instead I would get help solely from the teacher. Naturally, anything she told me I took as completely right since I haven't ever doubted a teacher in maths before. Maths only has the right way and the wrong way, and when your teacher is sure of herself, what's there to doubt, right?

So she told me when I was studying locus that when graphing arguments, such as [itex]arg(z)=\pi/4[/itex] All I have to do is draw the line y=x and I'm done. She never told me about the restrictions or she never knew, probably the latter... So then when our teacher was replaced when we started on another topic and had a test on complex numbers again, obviously I get it wrong. It wasn't the few marks I lost that got to me, it's that teachers tend to just think they're right about everything so whenever they teach you something, they say it with utmost confidence as if there is no doubt about it.

And then when our second teacher didn't even know how to teach these two topics in our class, I came to Physics Forums for help :biggrin: At least he was willing to admit it rather than teaching us everything the wrong way.

hey listen i got it. I think it was wrong because the question says that show that the roots satisfy the equation so you need to show that it satisfies the equation. Although the equation |z - 1/6| = 13/6 also satisfies it but the question specifically asks us to do so with the equation it has given n when v check the roots v see that it satisfies so the locus should be of radius 13 at center (1,0)
Btw its roots are 1 + 2i,1 - 2i and 2. The value of a is 1

For z=1+2i, 6z-1=6(1+2i)-1=5+12i

[itex]|6z-1|=\sqrt{5^2+12^2}=13[/itex] so it's right.

[itex]|z-1/6|=13/6[/itex] also satisfies because they are the same, we have manipulated them using correct algebraic techniques. Cutting off the 6 in front of the z is not a correct algebraic technique...

|z-1|=13 does not satisfy the roots, thus the roots do not lie on a circle centre 1 radius 13.

By the way, the real root is -2, not 2.

yeah you r right the root is -2 i missed it while typing. n thanks now i got a perfect reason to debate.

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that has both a real part and an imaginary part. It can be written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i representing the square root of -1.

2. What is a locus in relation to complex numbers?

In mathematics, a locus is a set of points that satisfy a certain condition or equation. In the context of complex numbers, a locus is the set of all complex numbers that satisfy a given equation or condition.

3. How do you graph a locus of a complex number?

To graph a locus of a complex number, you can plot the real and imaginary parts of the complex number on the x and y axes respectively. The locus will then be the set of all points that satisfy the given equation or condition.

4. What is the significance of complex number loci in mathematics?

Complex number loci are significant in mathematics because they allow us to visualize and understand complex numbers in a geometric way. They also have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. Can a complex number locus be a straight line?

Yes, a complex number locus can be a straight line. This occurs when the imaginary part is equal to zero, making the complex number purely real. In this case, the locus will be a vertical or horizontal line on the complex plane.