Finding local maximums and minimums

• Thread starter wildcat12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Local
In summary, to find a cubic function with a local maximum value of 2 at -9 and a local minimum value of -7 at 8, you will need to use constraints on the values of a, b, c, and d. These constraints can be found by plugging in specific values for x, such as 2 and -7, and setting the resulting equations equal to 0. With four equations, you should be able to solve for the values of a, b, c, and d to find the desired function.
wildcat12

Homework Statement

Find a cubic function g(x)=ax^3 +bx^2 +cx +d that has a local maximum value of 2 at -9, and a local minimum value of -7 at 8.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought i would find the derivative and set it equal to zero, but i do not know what to do from there

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, to find the values of a,b,c,d you'll need some constraints on those numbers

1) You know that when you plug 2 in your poly, you should get -9. When you plug -7 in, you would get 8. These deliver two equations.

2) When you derive your function, you know that when you plug 2 in, you get 0. When you plug -7 in, you would get 0 to. These deliver another two equations.

So you have 4 equations. You should be able to solve this system without problems...

So plug those numbers in for x? correct?

Awesome. i don't know why i didnt get that

1. What is the definition of a local maximum and minimum?

A local maximum is the highest point in a specific region of a graph, while a local minimum is the lowest point in a specific region of a graph.

2. How is a local maximum and minimum different from a global maximum and minimum?

A global maximum is the highest point on the entire graph, while a global minimum is the lowest point on the entire graph. A local maximum and minimum can occur within a specific region of the graph, but they may not be the highest or lowest points on the entire graph.

3. How can I find local maximums and minimums on a graph?

To find local maximums and minimums, you can use the first and second derivative tests. The first derivative test involves finding the points where the derivative of the function is equal to 0 or undefined. The second derivative test involves determining the concavity of the graph at these points to determine if they are local maximums or minimums.

4. Why is finding local maximums and minimums important in mathematics?

Finding local maximums and minimums is important in mathematics because it helps us analyze the behavior of a function and identify important points on the graph. These points can help us make predictions and solve problems in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering.

5. Can a function have more than one local maximum or minimum?

Yes, a function can have multiple local maximums and minimums. These points can occur at different regions of the graph and can help us understand the behavior of the function in those regions.