Electromagnetic Wave Conductivity: Project & Textbook Suggestions

In summary, Reilly Atkinson suggests that the spin of the electrons does not work that way. Lorentz calculated that this would be inconsistent with what was observed, and it was.
serali
I have a project but problems in formulating...
the project is about the conductivity of a charged metallic body which is spinnig on a fixed axis. I am trying to find out whether there is a relationship between the characteristics of the electromagnetic waves emitted by the body and the conductivity of it. can you suggest a textbook? or any idea? thanks for all help...

Physics news on Phys.org
I am also interested in this, if anyone has directions. I believe Lorentz (in 1920-something) did a similar calculation, in order to prove to students that the spin of an electron does not work that way.

The conductivity is a major player in determining the current. in a pure conductor, the current is at the surface. With finite conductivity, the current will penetrate into the volume. TheE&M fields will vary with the current. And, eddy currents are probably at play also. Older E&M book authors, Smyth and also Stratton, love these kinds of difficult problems. Check out one or both of the Ss.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

gonzolo what do you mean that the spin of the electrons does not work that way? by spinning i mean that the body has a constant or or accelerated angular velocity. but i understand your point. I would be pleased to find the works of lorentz, i am sure he made amazing studies to discover the nature of elec. mag. waves.
reilly thanks for reminding the eddy current problem, i almost forgot about that :)) is that julius adams stratton? i examined his book, it was really great. i think the books were better in the past.

i would like to ask both of you about the details soon.

When the notion of spin was introduced for particles (Pauli exclusion principle etc.) in the 20's, some people did wonder whether the electron could be modeled as a solid spinning charged sphere, since this would also cause a magnetic field and an angular momentum in the required direction. However, calculations taking into account the mass and charge of the electron showed inconsistencies (not the same order of magnitude that is observed in particular, and perhaps an enormous electron radius).

I read an annecdote about students asking the question to Lorentz. He replied with calculations which clearly showed they were wrong, but that they barely inderstood. I am not sure how much work is such a calculation, what it is exactly that was contained the annecdote calculation, or where one could find it. Whether any proof that electron spin wasn't actual mechanical spin has ever been published, I am not sure either. Perhaps it is too elementary for publishing, and more of a textbook problem.

i think to source of the problem is my english. i am not so fluent... i konw that the spin of the electrons shouldn't be understood as a solid spinning. think of a metal disk which is has an amount of charge on. by spin i meant the rotation of this disk on a fixed axis. now if you read carefully my posts you may see the point. sorry for any misunderstanding

I understand. The thing is that we are interested in the same calculations, but for entirely different reason. I am interested because of the Lorentz annecdote, while you are interested for your project. Although I believe it, I am interested to see the proof that electron spin is not like actual solid spin. If someone answers your question, it might also answer mine. Sorry to intrude.

1. What is electromagnetic wave conductivity?

Electromagnetic wave conductivity refers to the ability of a material to conduct electromagnetic waves, such as light or radio waves, through its structure. This is determined by the material's electrical and magnetic properties.

2. How is electromagnetic wave conductivity measured?

The conductivity of a material is typically measured by its conductivity coefficient, which is the ratio of the material's electric current density to the applied electric field. This can be determined through various experimental techniques, such as the four-point probe method.

3. What are some real-world applications of electromagnetic wave conductivity?

Electromagnetic wave conductivity has numerous applications, including in telecommunications, optics, and electronics. Conductive materials are used in the production of electronic devices, such as computer chips, and in the construction of antennas for wireless communication.

4. How does temperature affect electromagnetic wave conductivity?

Generally, as temperature increases, the conductivity of a material decreases. This is due to the increased thermal motion of particles, which can disrupt the flow of electrons and reduce the material's ability to conduct electromagnetic waves.

5. Are there any important considerations when selecting materials for electromagnetic wave conductivity?

Yes, there are several factors to consider when selecting materials for their electromagnetic wave conductivity. These include the material's electrical and magnetic properties, as well as its stability, durability, and cost. It is also important to consider the intended use of the material and the frequency range of the electromagnetic waves it will be conducting.