Potential energy greater total energy in the system?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question on an assignment about a graph showing distance and energy. The potential energy curve takes up the entire page and the total energy line intersects it at several points. The total energy is below the potential energy at some intervals, which raises confusion about the concept of potential energy being greater than total energy. The conversation also delves into the classical and quantum explanations for this phenomenon. It is explained that from a classical perspective, the movement of the object is restricted to zones where total energy is less than potential energy. It is also mentioned that for gravitational potential energy, the potential energy function can be negative. However, with regards to a spring, this is not possible and there may be some issues with the calculation.
shredder666
First of all this is not a HW question, I already "handed" the assignment in and its graded

There was this question on my assignment, it asked questions off of a graph that had distance on the x-axis and energy on the y axis.
The potential energy was a curve, and basically took up the entire page.
the total energy was just a horizontal line and intercepts the PE curve at several points.

But the strange thing was that the TE line was below the PE curve at several intervals. Which just totally confuse me, cus the potential energy is greater than the total energy... or is that some sort of convention that i don't know about

Physics news on Phys.org
From a classical point of view, the movement of the object is restricted to the zone where total energy is less than potential energy.
The other regions are "forbidden" in the sense that, within those zones, the kinetic energy is less tan zero and it would lead to an imaginary speed.
QM predicts another behavior, but I think you're looking for a "classical" answer

yes, I am looking an answer that does not involve the word "quantum".
So I don't get why that portion is there, is it some sort of bad question making?

The potential energy is a function eg. the potential energy for a linear simple harmonic oscillator is 1/2kx2---the function is real for all real x---- but there are constraints on x put by limits of total energy. But the potential energy is still a function and it can have the corresponding value for an x that gives an imaginary speed----if that were possible.

shredder666 said:
But the strange thing was that the TE line was below the PE curve at several intervals. Which just totally confuse me, cus the potential energy is greater than the total energy... or is that some sort of convention that i don't know about
For gravitational potential energy the potential energy function is liner U=mgh. It can get negative.In order to lift something at point p1 that is below your reference point at O set to 0 you must do work w=-mgh(h distance from p1 to O).Since gravitation is a conservative force and you are measuring with respect to some point the increase in Kinetic energy from O to p1 is equal to w so your total energy will be unchanged.No problems and no quantums.For a spring this is not possible since U=(1/2)kx^2 so if you get -U there is a problem..

What is potential energy and how does it relate to total energy in a system?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is a type of stored energy that can be converted into other forms of energy. In a closed system, the total energy is constant and can be divided into kinetic energy (energy of motion) and potential energy. Therefore, potential energy can contribute to the total energy in a system.

Why is it possible for potential energy to be greater than the total energy in a system?

In certain cases, such as when an object is at its maximum height in a gravitational field, its potential energy may be greater than the total energy in the system. This is because potential energy is a measure of the potential to do work, while total energy takes into account both kinetic and potential energy. In this scenario, the object has reached its maximum potential and has no kinetic energy, resulting in potential energy being greater than the total energy in the system.

Can potential energy be converted into other forms of energy in a system?

Yes, potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy within a system. For example, when a ball is held at a certain height, it possesses gravitational potential energy. When released, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the ball falls towards the ground. Similarly, potential energy can be converted into other forms such as electrical, chemical, or thermal energy depending on the system.

What factors affect the amount of potential energy in a system?

The amount of potential energy in a system depends on several factors including the mass of the object, its position, and the type of potential energy present (e.g. gravitational, elastic, etc.). For example, a heavier object will have more potential energy at a given height than a lighter object. Additionally, the potential energy in a spring will depend on how much it is stretched or compressed.

How is potential energy related to stability in a system?

In a stable system, the potential energy is at a minimum. This means that the system is in a state of balance and any small changes will not significantly affect its total energy. On the other hand, an unstable system will have high potential energy, meaning that small changes can result in a significant change in the total energy. Therefore, potential energy can be used to determine the stability of a system.