Complex exponential proof using power series

In summary, the conversation is about proving the equation ez1 x ez2 = e(z1 + z2) using power series. The proof involves using the sum of two power series and simplifying it using the binomial theorem. The Sigma operator was not working, so the equation was rewritten using simpler terms. The conversation also suggests that it may be easier to prove the equation starting from the RHS and using the binomial theorem.
randybryan
I need to prove that ez1 x ez2 = e(z1 + z2)

using the power series ez = (SUM FROM n=0 to infinity) zn/n!

(For some reason the Sigma operator isn't working)

In the proof I have been given, it reads

(SUM from 0 to infinity) z1n/n! x (SUM from 0 to infinity)z2m/m!

= (SUM n,m) z1nz2m/n!m!

and this is the step that I can't follow:

= (SUM from p=0 to infinity) x (SUM from q=0 to p) z1q z2(p-q)/q!(p-q)!

It may be easier to copy out onto paper using the sigma symbols rather than the ridiculous brackets, but I can't get the Sigma operator to work (like I say).

I just don't understand where the q and (p - q) have come from and how it can be split into a multiple of a sum from p=0 to infinity and q=0 to p.

If anyone can explain, I would be extremely grateful :)

= (SUM from p=0 to infinity) 1/p! (SUM from q=0 to p) p!/q! (p- q)! x z1q x z2(p-q)

= (SUM from p=0 to infinity) 1/p! (z1 + z2)p

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't it be easier to prove the LHS from the RHS?

If you do the RHS you can use the binomial theorem. Does that explain where you get those terms from?

1. What is a complex exponential?

A complex exponential is a mathematical function in the form of ez, where e is the base of the natural logarithm and z is a complex number.

2. What is a power series?

A power series is a mathematical series in the form of a0 + a1x + a2x2 + a3x3 + ..., where x is a variable and an is a coefficient for each term.

3. How is a complex exponential represented using a power series?

A complex exponential can be represented using a power series by expanding the function ez into its Taylor series, which is a power series representation.

4. What is the proof for the complex exponential using power series?

The proof for the complex exponential using power series involves manipulating the Taylor series for ez and showing that it converges to the same value as the original function. This is done using the Cauchy product of two power series.

5. What is the significance of the complex exponential proof using power series?

The complex exponential proof using power series is significant because it shows that the complex exponential function is analytic, meaning it can be represented by a convergent power series. This allows for easier calculations and mathematical analysis of complex exponential functions.