Orbital Blocks and Energy Levels

In summary, the S, P, D, and F on the periodic table represent subshells or azimuthal quantum numbers, while the numbers indicate energy levels or principal quantum numbers. The arrows are used as a mnemonic to remember the order of filling of orbitals, and they follow the n+L rule for increasing energy levels. The purposeful slanting of the arrows is unclear.
Qube
Gold Member
Ok, I know that the S, P, D, and F represent blocks (groups of elements) on the periodic table.

I know that the numbers represent rows on the periodic table.

But what about the arrows? What's with the business of "increasing energy"? Why are the arrows slanted?

[PLAIN]http://i.min.us/icVeTS.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Qube said:
Ok, I know that the S, P, D, and F represent blocks (groups of elements) on the periodic table.

I know that the numbers represent rows on the periodic table.

But what about the arrows? What's with the business of "increasing energy"? Why are the arrows slanted?

[PLAIN]http://i.min.us/icVeTS.png[/QUOTE] [Broken]

I don't think S, P, D, and F represent blocks. They are subshells i.e azimuthal quantum number(L) and the numbers represent the energy level, i.e Principal quantum number to which the subshells belong.

For example:- 3s
Here s is the subshell which has the azimuthal quantum number "1" and "3"(principal quantum number) is the energy level.

And about the arrows, that's just a mnemonic to remember about the order of filling of orbitals. I don't why the arrows are purposely slanted. The arrows go according to increasing energy level. If you see, the arrows go according to n+L rule.
Hope that helped...! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are orbital blocks and energy levels?

Orbital blocks are groupings of atomic orbitals with similar energies. Energy levels refer to the specific energy states an electron can occupy within an atom.

2. How are orbital blocks and energy levels related?

Orbital blocks are organized within energy levels, with each level containing one or more blocks. The energy level determines the overall energy of an electron, while the orbital block determines the shape and orientation of the electron's path around the nucleus.

3. How do electrons fill orbital blocks and energy levels?

Electrons follow the Aufbau principle, which states that they fill the lowest energy levels and blocks first before moving to higher ones. This is known as the "building-up" principle.

4. Can orbital blocks and energy levels be predicted for any element?

Yes, the arrangement of orbital blocks and energy levels can be predicted based on the atomic number of an element. This information can be found on the periodic table.

5. How do orbital blocks and energy levels affect an element's properties?

The number and arrangement of orbital blocks and energy levels can determine an element's chemical and physical properties. For example, the number of valence electrons, which are located in the outermost energy level, can influence an element's reactivity and bonding behavior.