Equilibrium of a Suspended Mass on a Spring: Understanding Potential Energy

In summary, when a mass is suspended vertically from a spring and is in equilibrium, its potential energy is zero. This is because the gravitational potential that allows the mass to do work downwards is cancelled out by the potential energy from the spring upwards, in order for the SHM equations to work out. When the mass is pulled down a distance x from the equilibrium point, the change in potential energy is given by 1/2 kx^2, which includes gravitational potential energy. If the equilibrium position is measured from the original unstretched position of the spring, then the gravitational potential energy term must be added. However, the net change in potential energy remains the same regardless of the reference point. It is easier to use the equilibrium position as
Skomatth
Say a mass is suspended vertically from a spring and is in equilibrium.

What is its potential energy? I think its zero because while it has gravitational potential that would allow it to do work downwards, it also has potential energy from the spring upwards. So do these cancel out? It seems like they have to for SHM equations to work out.

What is its potnetial energy when it is pulled down m meters? (1/2)km^2

This isn't homework just a a concept I'm confused on.

Physics news on Phys.org
the m in your equation is relative to the equilibrium position so I think you're probably right. Someone else may want to weigh in on this.

With a mass hanging from a spring, it's simpler to measure displacement from the equilibrium point. (Thus, if the mass is at the equilibrium point, the potential energy is zero.) If you do that, then when the mass is moved a distance x from that equilibrium point, the change in potential energy is given by [itex]1/2 k x^2[/itex]. Note that this includes gravitational PE.

If you wanted to keep measuring things from the original unstretched position of the spring, then you'd have to add the gravitational PE term. But you'd get the same net [itex]\Delta {PE}[/itex] when you displace the mass from equilibrium. (Convince yourself of this by doing the calculation.)

It's of course much easier to use the equilibrium position as the reference for analyzing the resulting SHM.

Ok, I think I understand just tell me if this is right...

You only need gravitational PE if you consider equilibrium to be mass on the unstretched string. If you consider equilibrium to be mass on the stretched string(not moving) then gains in gravitational PE are included in the .5kx^2 term. This is probably why I've never seen a problem that tells you the height at which the mass is oscillating. Sounds pretty much like I reiterated what Doc Al said but it helped typing it. I'd do the math but I have a policy of no homework the day before the test :smile:

1. What is SHM (Simple Harmonic Motion)?

SHM is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from an equilibrium position and acts in the opposite direction of the displacement. Examples include a pendulum, a mass-spring system, and a vibrating guitar string.

2. What are the key characteristics of SHM?

The key characteristics of SHM are that it is periodic, meaning it repeats itself at regular intervals; it is sinusoidal, meaning it follows a sine or cosine wave pattern; and it has a constant amplitude and frequency.

3. How is SHM different from other types of motion?

SHM differs from other types of motion in that it is a type of oscillatory motion, which means it involves back-and-forth movement around an equilibrium position. It also has a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement, which is not the case for other types of motion.

4. What is the role of equilibrium in SHM?

The equilibrium position in SHM is the point at which the restoring force is zero and the object is at rest. It is important because it serves as a reference point for measuring displacement and helps determine the direction of the restoring force.

5. How is SHM applied in real life?

SHM has many practical applications, including in clocks and watches, musical instruments, and seismometers. Understanding the principles of SHM also helps in fields such as engineering, where it is used to design stable structures and control systems.