Algebraic Division: Solving Step by Step

• Thread starter Josh M.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Division
In summary, the problem involves dividing a polynomial by another polynomial and setting up long division to solve it step by step. The final answer is a^2+3a-9 with a remainder of 81.
Josh M.
I didn't really know where to put this, but I thought I'd post it in General Math. Any way, here's the problem, I'd like it solved step by step, please.

a4 (a to the fourth power) + Oa3 (a to the third power) + 9a2 (a squared) + Oa

divided by:

a2 (a squared) - 3a + 9

Thanks in advance!

Josh

Mathematics news on Phys.org
what is O?

Weird, you have the same name as me (mine is josh meyer). Anyway, here's the problem:

[tex] \frac{a^4+9a^2}{a^2-3a+9} [/tex]

So we set up long division as you did, with 0's in for all the non-existent powers of x. It's hard to write this out on the site, so I am doing it on paper and describing it step by step:

1. [tex]a^2[/tex] goes into [tex]a^4[/tex] [tex]a^2[/tex] times, so write [tex]a^2[/tex] above the [tex]9a^2[/tex]

2. Multiply the [tex]a^2-3a+9[/tex] term by that [tex]a^2[/tex] and write all the terms obtained underneath their proper powers (cubics under cubics etc). Then change the signs on all these terms and subtract everything. (you should get [tex]0a^4+3a^3+0a^2[/tex])

3. [tex]a^2[/tex] goes into [tex]3a^3[/tex] [tex]3a[/tex] times, so write this [tex]3a[/tex] above the 0a, multiply the [tex]a^2-3a+9[/tex] term by it, change the signs on these terms, and subtract. You ought to get
[tex] -9a^2-27a[/tex].

4. [tex]a^2[/tex] goes into [tex]-9a^2[/tex] -9 times, so write this above, multiply everything out, switch signs, and subtract.

so, the answer is [tex]a^2+3a-9[/tex] with a remainder of 81.

1. What is algebraic division?

Algebraic division is a mathematical process used to divide algebraic expressions, which are expressions that contain variables and constants. It involves dividing the coefficients and subtracting the exponents of the variables.

2. How do I perform algebraic division?

To perform algebraic division, you first need to ensure that the expressions are in the correct format, with the dividend (the expression being divided) on top and the divisor (the expression dividing the dividend) on the bottom. Then, you can use the long division method or the synthetic division method to divide the expressions and simplify the result.

3. What is the difference between long division and synthetic division?

The main difference between long division and synthetic division is the method used to divide the expressions. In long division, you use repeated subtraction and multiplication to divide the expressions, while synthetic division uses a shortcut method that involves only dividing by the first term of the divisor.

4. Why is algebraic division important?

Algebraic division is important because it allows us to simplify and solve complex algebraic expressions, making it easier to understand and work with mathematical equations. It is also an important skill in higher-level math courses and in real-life applications such as engineering and physics.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in algebraic division?

Some common mistakes to avoid in algebraic division include forgetting to distribute a negative sign, not simplifying the coefficients and exponents, and making errors in the long division or synthetic division process. It is important to double check your work and practice regularly to avoid these mistakes.