Is y'(x) a Valid Notation for a Derivative Function?

• Thread starter Dramacon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of notation in mathematics, specifically the use of the apostrophe mark to indicate either a specific value or the first derivative of a function. There is some disagreement on whether y(x) should be referred to as a function or a number, but it is generally accepted that y' represents the derivative of y.
Dramacon
This is just me being pedantic :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Dramacon said:
I don't see anything wrong with it.

Dramacon said:

Acceptable notation for what?

Dick said:
Acceptable notation for what?
That thought occurred to me as well.

Unclear. What is y ? What is y(x) ? What is y'(x)?

The apostrophe mark may mean either, "the other specified...", or it may mean, "first derivative of...".

If you are giving your function the variable name of y(x), then most likely one would use y'(x) to mean, the first derivative of y(x) with respect to x.

I don't see anything wrong with y'(x), but I guess it depends on whether you had something non-standard in mind.

symbolipoint said:
If you are giving your function the variable name of y(x),
I have never been a fan of calling y(x) a function. y is the function. y(x) is a number in the range of y. y' is the derivative of y. y'(x) is the value of y' at x, and also the derivative of y at x.

Last edited:

1. What does y'(x) mean in scientific notation?

y'(x) is a mathematical notation used to represent the derivative of a function y with respect to the independent variable x. It is also known as the "prime" notation.

2. How is y'(x) different from dy/dx?

Both notations represent the derivative of a function, but y'(x) is a shorthand notation while dy/dx is the Leibniz notation. They are essentially the same and can be used interchangeably.

3. Is y'(x) an acceptable notation in all mathematical contexts?

Yes, y'(x) is a widely accepted notation for representing derivatives in various fields of mathematics such as calculus, differential equations, and physics.

4. Can y'(x) be used to represent higher order derivatives?

Yes, y'(x) can be extended to represent higher order derivatives. For example, y''(x) represents the second derivative and y'''(x) represents the third derivative.

5. Is y'(x) only used for single variable functions?

No, y'(x) can also be used for multi-variable functions. In this case, it represents the partial derivative of y with respect to x.