Conservation of Angular Momentum of Cart Problem

In summary, the child built a simple cart consisting of a 0.60 m by 1.20 m sheet of plywood and four wheels, each 20.0 cm in diameter and with a mass of 1.86 kg. The cart was released from the top of a 15° incline that was 34 m long. The speed at the bottom was found to be 18.8 m/s.
carhartt

Homework Statement

A child builds a simple cart consisting of a 0.60 m by 1.20 m sheet of plywood of mass 8.8 kg and four wheels, each 20.0 cm in diameter and with a mass of 1.86 kg. It is released from the top of a 15° incline that is 34 m long. Find the speed at the bottom. Assume that the wheels roll along the incline without slipping and that friction between the wheels and their axles can be neglected. (You may assume that the center of mass of the cart starts at very top of the incline.)

Diameter = 20 cm, Massplywood = 8.8kg, Masswheel = 1.86 kg
Length of incline = 34 m Masstotal = 16.24 kg

Homework Equations

Energybefore = Energyafter

KEtranslational = 1/2mtotalv2
KErotational = 1/2 I ω2
Isolid disk = 1/2 M R2
Ug = mgh
v = rω

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached is a copy of my work at the solution.
1. After drawing a sketch of my problem I set my energies from the top of the incline equal to the energies when at the bottom.
2. The only energies acting in "before" is gravitational potential energy Ug = mtotalgh. I can find the high using trig h = Lsin(15). Note the gravitational potential energy of the carts center of mass mtotalgd will cancel out on the "left" side of the equation.
3. The energies acting in "after" is the translational KE, rotational KE, and gravitational potential energy (that cancels out mentioned in 2).
- KEt = 1/2mtotalv2
- KEr = 1/2(1/2*4MwheelR2)(v/r)2
++ the moment of inertia for a solid disk is I = 1/2 M R2 but there are 4 wheels hence multiplied by 4. Also v = rω, substituting (v/r) for ω.
4. Simplified and solve for velocity.

I am doing this homework assignment on webssign and 18.8 m/s 18.77 m/s, whichever, does not seem to be correct.

muWe3.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Operator error: Make sure that your calculator is set to use degrees rather than radians.

gneill said:
Operator error: Make sure that your calculator is set to use degrees rather than radians.

Of course, that was it. Thank you.

1. What is conservation of angular momentum in a cart problem?

The conservation of angular momentum in a cart problem refers to the principle that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that the rotational motion of the cart will remain constant unless an external force is applied.

2. How is angular momentum conserved in a cart problem?

In a cart problem, angular momentum is conserved through the conservation of both the magnitude and direction of the angular momentum vector. This means that if there are no external torques acting on the cart, the angular momentum will remain constant.

3. Can angular momentum be transferred from one object to another in a cart problem?

Yes, angular momentum can be transferred from one object to another in a cart problem. This can happen through collisions, where the angular momentum of one object is transferred to another, or through the application of external torques.

4. How does the rotational inertia of the cart affect the conservation of angular momentum?

The rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of how difficult it is to change the rotational motion of an object. In a cart problem, a higher rotational inertia will result in a larger angular momentum, making it more challenging to change the rotational motion of the cart. However, the conservation of angular momentum still holds regardless of the rotational inertia of the cart.

5. Can the conservation of angular momentum be violated in a cart problem?

No, the conservation of angular momentum cannot be violated in a cart problem. This is a fundamental principle in physics that has been observed and tested in numerous experiments. Any apparent violation of this principle can be explained by the presence of external torques or incomplete information about the system.