More difficult linear algebra book

In summary, the person is looking for a more difficult linear algebra book with proofs, but not too difficult. Recommendations include Sheldon Axler's book, Hoffman or Friedberg's book, and Loomis and Sternberg's book. Other suggestions include a free linear algebra book and a book that covers topics in abstract algebra and geometry as well. Some commenters also suggest starting with a more basic book before moving on to these more advanced texts.
kahwawashay1
Im looking for a more difficult linear algebra book, more analytical with proofs and whatnot, but not too difficult (Ive only had up to calc III and taking linear algebra now). any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sheldon axler

See my blog on linear algebra books: https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=3206

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoffman or Friedberg :)

here is a free linear algebra book.

Attachments

• 4050sum08.pdf
    877 KB · Views: 242
thrill3rnit3 said:
Sheldon axler

I second Axler. It will give you a more theoretical outlook to balance out the rote computation in most intro. linear algebra courses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sankaku said:
Micromass' comments on books are excellent. However, I still think Axler is pretty good as long as it isn't your first book in LA.

Absolutely correct. If you're already familiar with determinants and its uses in finding eigenvalues and inverses then Axler is a very good book for you! I should edit that in in my blog...

1. What is the purpose of a more difficult linear algebra book?

A more difficult linear algebra book is meant to challenge and deepen one's understanding of the subject. It may cover more advanced topics and provide a rigorous approach to solving problems.

2. How is a more difficult linear algebra book different from a basic one?

A more difficult linear algebra book will cover more complex topics, use more advanced mathematical concepts, and require a higher level of mathematical maturity from the reader.

3. Who would benefit from using a more difficult linear algebra book?

A more difficult linear algebra book is well-suited for students or professionals who have a strong foundation in linear algebra and are looking to further their knowledge in the subject.

4. What are some common topics covered in a more difficult linear algebra book?

Some common topics in a more difficult linear algebra book may include vector spaces, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, diagonalization, and advanced matrix operations.

5. How can one prepare for using a more difficult linear algebra book?

To prepare for using a more difficult linear algebra book, one should have a solid understanding of basic linear algebra concepts and should be comfortable with abstract mathematical reasoning. It may also be helpful to review advanced algebra and calculus topics.