15 Year old wishing to self-learn physics and calculus

In summary: Thanks for asking! In summary, the best physics textbooks for self-study are those that are both easy to read and cover a broad range of physics concepts. Additionally, if you are interested in learning about quantum physics, I would recommend "The Quantum World: Quantum Physics for Everyone" by Kenneth W. Ford.
Gravitational
Im currently 15 years old and in grade 9, but I feel as though the math and science program at my school is moving terribly slow for my liking. What are some good physics textbooks for self-tutoring? And most importantly, what are some good calculus textbooks for self-tutoring?
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
khanacademy, get yourself some decent calc and algebra skills there

then;
Introduction to Linear Algebra with Gilbert Strang on youtube, very good lectures imo
Leonard Susskinds lectures on physics on youtube, again, very good introduction/overview imo
Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences - M Boas, a very good book on mathematical techniques
If you want to learn more about the nitty gritty of calulus then try out some Baby Rudin or some Spivak

For physics textbooks, Introduction to Mechanics by Daniel kelppner (or something like that) then, if you feel up to it try some goldstein or some landau and lifgarbagez mechanics

You'll know where to go from there

Good luck!

Thanks! sounds like a good plan, appreciate the help

Hey Gravitational, Serway and Jewett's "Physics for scientists and engineers" is a great detailed book. However, you will need a strong calculus foundation. Of course, James Stewart's Calculus 6th edition is a good calculus book. I would suggesting getting a strong base in math before moving onto more advanced physics.

Hi,

For physics, the book I use at my school is "Conceptual Physics: The High School Physics Program" by Paul G. Hewitt. It's great because it puts most branches of physics into one easy to understand book. The concepts that are taught are

-Classical Mechanics
-The Properties of Matter
-Heat & Thermodynamics
-Sound & Light
-Electricity & Magnetism
-Atomic & Nuclear Physics.

It has little mathematics, so it's easy to understand. The concepts that are explained are backed up using images, graphs, etc. to enhance understanding.

If your interested in the Quantum side of things, check out

"The Quantum World: Quantum Physics for Everyone" by Kenneth W. Ford.

If you want to increase your mathematical abilities, check out Khanacademy. It has great tutorials for all kinds of Mathematics.

I also suggest you watch the DVD's by NOVA. They talk about the physics of the universe.

1. What resources are available for a 15-year-old to self-learn physics and calculus?

There are many free online resources available for self-learning physics and calculus, such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. You can also check your local library for textbooks and study guides.

2. How should a 15-year-old structure their self-study plan for physics and calculus?

It is important to have a structured plan when self-learning physics and calculus. Start by setting specific goals and objectives, then break them down into smaller tasks. Dedicate a set amount of time each day to studying and practicing. It may also be helpful to find a study partner or join an online study group for support and accountability.

3. Can a 15-year-old learn physics and calculus without prior knowledge or experience?

Yes, it is possible for a 15-year-old to learn physics and calculus without any prior knowledge or experience. However, it may require more time and effort. It is important to start with the basics and build a strong foundation before moving on to more complex concepts.

4. How can a 15-year-old stay motivated while self-learning physics and calculus?

Staying motivated while self-learning can be challenging, but there are a few things you can do to help. Set realistic goals and celebrate your progress. Find ways to make learning fun and engaging, such as through experiments or creating study aids. Also, don't be afraid to take breaks and ask for help when needed.

5. What careers can a 15-year-old pursue after self-learning physics and calculus?

Self-learning physics and calculus can open up many career opportunities in fields such as engineering, mathematics, computer science, and physics. These skills are also valuable for many other professions, such as medicine, finance, and data analysis. It is important to continue building on your knowledge and skills through further education and hands-on experience.