What is the Effect of Connecting a Load on the Polarity of Induced Voltage?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a changing magnetic field and the resulting electric field in an open circuited loop. It is stated that the polarity of the electric field should be reversed when a load is connected, but the speaker is confused because their professor and others claim that the polarity should stay the same. The conversation also mentions the equation Curl E = -dB/dt and a picture of the situation.
johnstamos

Homework Statement

This is seriously going to drive me insane. I know that a time changing B field produces a curling E field. For case #1, I have an open circuited loop with a B field increasing out of the page. This should create a polarity indicated in my picture.

I hook up a load to it. I have an electric field curling in the clockwise direction, E is proportional to current density, and so the polarity across the terminals should be reversed.

And yet my prof/all other people keep telling me that the polarity stays the same. So by connect a load, we actually reverse the direction of the electric field?

Homework Equations

Curl E = -dB/dt;

The Attempt at a Solution

see above

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/Photo%20Feb%2025%2C%201%2053%2009%20AM%20%281%29.jpg?w=e2e0f3fc

Physics news on Phys.org
'Picture' ? You missed it.

What is polarity of induced voltage?

Polarity of induced voltage refers to the direction of the induced voltage in a circuit or system. It can be either positive or negative, depending on the direction of the changing magnetic field.

How is the polarity of induced voltage determined?

The polarity of induced voltage is determined by Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction, which states that the induced voltage is always in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic flux.

What factors affect the polarity of induced voltage?

The polarity of induced voltage can be affected by the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, and the rate of change of the magnetic field.

What happens if the polarity of induced voltage is reversed?

If the polarity of induced voltage is reversed, the direction of the current in the circuit will also be reversed. This can have significant effects on the performance of electronic devices and can be controlled through the use of diodes or other components.

How is the polarity of induced voltage used in practical applications?

The polarity of induced voltage is used in many practical applications, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also important in the operation of electronic devices, such as sensors, speakers, and microphones.