Light intensity of UV component from a xenon lamp

In summary, the UV component of a 100watt xenon lamp comprises of 5-6% of the total spectrum emitted. It is difficult to calculate the power of the UV light emitted due to the complex distribution of energy between different wavelengths in ionized xenon, making it a near impossible problem in quantum mechanics. This is due to the many resonances and energy level differences in the xenon plasma.
mkbh_10
I have a 100watt xenon lamp , the UV component comprises of 5-6% of the total spectrum emitted by the xenon lamp . How do I calculate at what power is the UV light emitted ?

Is the whole spectrum being emitted at 100 W or is the power distributed through the spectrum? How is this distribution of power related to the wavelength of light if latter is the case ?

Science news on Phys.org
mkbh_10 said:
I have a 100watt xenon lamp , the UV component comprises of 5-6% of the total spectrum emitted by the xenon lamp . How do I calculate at what power is the UV light emitted ?

Is the whole spectrum being emitted at 100 W or is the power distributed through the spectrum? How is this distribution of power related to the wavelength of light if latter is the case ?

Sorry this is not an answer more of a warning if you get replies talking about the Planck distribution or black body curve please ignore them.

The distribution of energy between the different wavelengths in ionised xenon is a near impossible problem in quantum mechanics because of the many 'resonances' ie energy level differences the xenon plasma has.

for a picture of what you have see http://astro.u-strasbg.fr/~koppen/discharge/xenon.html

I know this is not of much help but fundamental physics has its limits - that's why its fun

Regards

Sam

1. What is a xenon lamp?

A xenon lamp is a type of gas discharge lamp that produces light by passing an electric current through ionized xenon gas. It emits a broad spectrum of light, including UV light.

2. What is the UV component of a xenon lamp?

The UV component of a xenon lamp refers to the amount of ultraviolet radiation that is emitted by the lamp. This type of light is not visible to the human eye, but can be measured and detected by specialized equipment.

3. How is the light intensity of UV component measured from a xenon lamp?

The light intensity of UV component from a xenon lamp is typically measured in watts per square meter (W/m²). This can be done using a radiometer, which is a device that measures the intensity of electromagnetic radiation.

4. Why is the light intensity of UV component from a xenon lamp important?

The light intensity of UV component from a xenon lamp is important because it can impact various processes and experiments that require UV light. For example, it is commonly used in scientific research, industrial processes, and medical treatments.

5. What factors can affect the light intensity of UV component from a xenon lamp?

Several factors can affect the light intensity of UV component from a xenon lamp, including the power supply, temperature, and gas pressure inside the lamp. The type of xenon gas used and the condition of the lamp can also have an impact on the light intensity.