[MATLAB] Making code faster/more efficient

In summary: A is in "power of A"....0, then A is in "result".So inside the loop, A is either in "power of A" or "result".For A^200 you'd be looking at 200 = 2^7 + 2^6 + 2^3, soa2 = A*A a4 = a2*a2a8 = a4*a4a16 = a8*a8a32 = a16*a16a64 = a32*a32a128 = a64*a64Then A^200 is given by a8*a
BrownianMan
A is a sparse matrix. B is a vector. I have the following code:

Code:
for j=1:N
    B=A*B;
end;

This part of the code is inside a function which gets called about 160000 times. I ran the Profiler and this part is the bottleneck. How can I make it more efficient?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does your A vary? If it is constant (or does not change every time), calculate A^n first.
Even it A is different every time, it might reduce the required time, as there could be special algorithms to calculate A^n more efficient.

Yes, A is constant.

I tried that. But the problem is that N is 200. So it actually takes more time to calculate A^N. I was wondering if there are more efficient ways to compute A^N. I tried using [v d]=eigs(A) and v*(d.^N)*v' but it said it wasn't able to find eigenvalues with sufficient accuracy.

BrownianMan said:
Yes, A is constant.

I tried that. But the problem is that N is 200. So it actually takes more time to calculate A^N. I was wondering if there are more efficient ways to compute A^N. I tried using [v d]=eigs(A) and v*(d.^N)*v' but it said it wasn't able to find eigenvalues with sufficient accuracy.

So A is only constant for each call of the function (it is different each time the function is called)?

Note that you can speed up exponentiation by taking advantage of some properties of exponents. Rather than repeatedly multiplying by A 200 times, there's nothing to prevent you forming A2 = A*A, then A4 = A2*A2, then A16 = A4*A4, and so on to carry out the bulk of the multiplications. Save appropriate intermediate results to have the right ones on hand: 200 = 128 + 64 + 8.

A depends on the inputs of the function, but inside the loop it does not change. For a given set of inputs, it is constant.

As far as taking advantage of properties of exponents, N is also an input. N=200 is what I am suppose to use to show that it gives the correct result for that specific N, but N can take on any integer value specified by the user. So I do not know N in advance.

BrownianMan said:
A depends on the inputs of the function, but inside the loop it does not change. For a given set of inputs, it is constant.

As far as taking advantage of properties of exponents, N is also an input. N=200 is what I am suppose to use to show that it gives the correct result for that specific N, but N can take on any integer value specified by the user. So I do not know N in advance.

Okay, but any N can be decomposed into a sum of powers of 2 in a similar fashion.

Is there a function that allows you to do that in Matlab?

BrownianMan said:
Is there a function that allows you to do that in Matlab?

Dunno. I'm not familiar with the Matlab function library. But it's the same as converting the decimal number N to binary. Each bit then represents a power of two.

gneill said:
Dunno. I'm not familiar with the Matlab function library. But it's the same as converting the decimal number N to binary. Each bit then represents a power of two.

Ok, I wrote a function to do that and then replaced the slow loop with this:

Code:
vec=sumPowersOf2(N); %vector of elements of powers of 2 that sum to N
AN=eye(N_space-1);
for i=1:numel(vec)
   AN=AN*A^vec(i);
end

But this is actually slower.

The idea would be to reuse already computed powers, not compute each power of two individually. For example, if you've already computed A^2 and you need A^4, take the already computed value of A^2 and multiply it by itself...

For A^200 you'd be looking at 200 = 2^7 + 2^6 + 2^3, so

a2 = A*A
a4 = a2*a2
a8 = a4*a4
a16 = a8*a8
a32 = a16*a16
a64 = a32*a32
a128 = a64*a64

Then A^200 is given by a8*a64*a128

So a total of 9 matrix multiplies. Yes, there will be a tradeoff in terms of space -- keeping around a lot of partial results which might be large matrices will up the memory usage. You might be able to reuse the temporary variables which are not required for the final calculation. So in the above, the a2 variable is not required after a4 is calculated, and a4 is not required again after a8 is calculated, and so on. Just hang onto the ones you need at the end: a8, a64, a128.

This should be quick:

N is stored as binary in your program anyway, for example as 11001000.
In addition, define two places to store matrices, which I call "power of A" and "result" here. Store A in "power of A" and 1 (the identity matrix) in "result".

Now, loop over the bits of N:
If the last bit is 1 (if 1 AND N is true, where AND is done bitwise), multiply "result" with "power of A". Otherwise, ignore that step.
Multiply "power of A" with "power of A".
Shift N by one bit (n=n/2, n>>1 or whatever MATLAB wants)
if N==0, quit, otherwise loop again

For N=200 as example, the results of the loop look like that:

N=11001000, "power of A"=A, "result"=1
(1 AND N)==0, do not change result, square "power of A", shift N...
N=1100100, "power of A"=A^2, "result"=1
... same as above
N=110010, "power of A"=A^4, "result"=1
N=11001, "power of A"=A^8, "result"=1
(1 AND N)==0, multiply "result" by "power of A", square "power of A", shift N...
N=1100, "power of A"=A^16, "result"=A^8
(1 AND N)==0, ...
N=110, "power of A"=A^32, "result"=A^8
N=11, "power of A"=A^64, "result"=A^8
N=1, "power of A"=A^128, "result"=A^72
N=0, "power of A"=A^256, "result"=A^200
Done. 10 non-trivial matrix multiplications required.

You can skip the last change of "power of A" with a bit more programming logic.

1. How can I make my MATLAB code run faster?

There are several ways to improve the speed and efficiency of your MATLAB code. One method is to use vectorization, which involves performing operations on entire arrays instead of individual elements. Another approach is to preallocate arrays and avoid using nested loops. Additionally, you can use built-in functions instead of writing your own algorithms, as they are often optimized for speed.

2. Are there any built-in functions in MATLAB that can help improve code efficiency?

Yes, MATLAB offers a variety of built-in functions that are designed to improve code efficiency. For example, the "find" function can be used to locate specific elements in an array without the need for a loop. The "bsxfun" function can also be useful for performing operations on arrays of different sizes without having to expand them.

3. How can I profile my MATLAB code to identify areas that are slowing it down?

MATLAB has a built-in profiler tool that can help you identify where your code is spending the most time. You can use this tool to see the execution time of each line of code, as well as the number of times it is called. This can help pinpoint specific areas that may need to be optimized.

4. Is it better to use built-in functions or write my own algorithms for improved efficiency?

In most cases, it is better to use built-in functions in MATLAB, as they are often optimized for speed and memory usage. However, if you are working with a specific problem or data set that requires a customized approach, it may be more efficient to write your own algorithm.

5. Can I use parallel computing in MATLAB to make my code run faster?

Yes, MATLAB offers parallel computing capabilities, which can significantly improve the speed and efficiency of your code. This involves distributing the workload across multiple processors or cores, allowing for faster execution times. However, not all algorithms are suitable for parallel computing, so it is important to consider the nature of your code before implementing it.