Finding angle of billiard ball after collision

In summary, a billiard ball of mass 0.162 kg, moving at a speed of 1.86 m/s, collides with the side of a billiard table at an angle of 51.8°. The coefficient of restitution for this collision is 0.841. After the collision, the ball moves away from the collision at an angle of 42.5° relative to the table's side. Momentum is conserved in the x direction and the speed reduction only occurs in the direction perpendicular to the table's side. The equation for coefficient of restitution is CR = \vec{v}sinθ' / \vec{u}sinθ.
luffy3san

Homework Statement

A billiard ball of mass 0.162 kg has a speed of 1.86 m/s and collides with the side of the billiard table at an angle of 51.8°. For this collision, the coefficient of restitution is 0.841. What is the angle relative to the side (in degrees) at which the ball moves away from the collision?

m = 0.162 kg
vi = 1.86 m/s
θ = 51.8°
CR = 0.841

Homework Equations

CR = v/u
mvxi + mvyi = mv'xf + mv'yf

The Attempt at a Solution

CR = v/u
0.841 = v / 1.86 m/s
v = 1.56 m/s

mvxi = mvxf
mvcosθ = mvcosθ'
1.86 * cos 51.8° = vxf
vxf = 1.15 m/s

cosθ' = vxf/v
cosθ' = 1.15/1.56
θ' = cos-1(1.15/1.56) = 42.5°

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
luffy3san said:

The Attempt at a Solution

CR = v/u
0.841 = v / 1.86 m/s
v = 1.56 m/s

mvxi = mvxf
mvcosθ = mvcosα

I have a problem with these two. E.g. the second says θ = α and I don't believe the first one either!

Is momentum really conserved in the billiard ball? What about momentum transferred to the Earth via the pool table etc.?

M.E.'s out there, help?

1.86 * cos 51.8° = vxf
vxf = 1.15 m/s

cosα = vxf/v
cosα = 1.15/1.56
α = cos-1(1.15/1.56) = 42.5°[/QUOTE]

rude man said:
I have a problem with these two. E.g. the second says θ = α and I don't believe the first one either!

Is momentum really conserved in the billiard ball? What about momentum transferred to the Earth via the pool table etc.?

M.E.'s out there, help?

1.86 * cos 51.8° = vxf
vxf = 1.15 m/s

cosα = vxf/v
cosα = 1.15/1.56
α = cos-1(1.15/1.56) = 42.5°

Hmm not sure about the momentum transfer to the Earth etc. I checked a couple sites where they said momentum is conserved in the x direction in this situation.

luffy3san said:
Hmm not sure about the momentum transfer to the Earth etc. I checked a couple sites where they said momentum is conserved in the x direction in this situation.

Yeah, that makes sense. Momentum transfer to Earth should be only in the direction perpendicular to the table's side. Good point. Did you pick x as going along the side of the collision?

rude man said:
Yeah, that makes sense. Momentum transfer to Earth should be only in the direction perpendicular to the table's side. Good point. Did you pick x as going along the side of the collision?

Yes, I think so. I chose the x-axis to be the side of the table. On a x-y coordinate, the ball travels from the 3rd quadrant, hits at the origin, and deflects towards the 4th quadrant. And, I chose the angles to be along the x axis. Don't know if that's the right way.

Last edited:
I think you are supposed to assume that the speed is reduced only in the direction perpendicular to the cushion.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
I think you are supposed to assume that the speed is reduced only in the direction perpendicular to the cushion.

AM

Yeah, that's what I was assuming but i found out my mistake. I noticed that CR should've been CR = [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]sinθ' / [itex]\vec{u}[/itex]sinθ

Thanks rudeman and Andrew for the suggestions!

1. How do I calculate the angle of a billiard ball after a collision?

The angle of a billiard ball after a collision can be calculated using the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence (incoming angle) is equal to the angle of reflection (outgoing angle). This means that the angle of the ball after a collision will be equal to the angle at which it approached the object it collided with.

2. What factors can affect the angle of a billiard ball after a collision?

There are several factors that can affect the angle of a billiard ball after a collision, including the speed and direction of the ball before the collision, the type of object it collided with (e.g. another ball or the side of the table), and the level of friction on the table's surface.

3. Can the angle of a billiard ball after a collision be predicted with 100% accuracy?

No, the angle of a billiard ball after a collision cannot be predicted with 100% accuracy. There are many factors that can impact the ball's trajectory, and even the slightest variations in these factors can result in a different angle after a collision.

4. Are there any mathematical equations or formulas for finding the angle of a billiard ball after a collision?

Yes, there are mathematical equations and formulas that can be used to calculate the angle of a billiard ball after a collision. These include the law of reflection, as well as equations for calculating the angle of incidence and angle of reflection using the ball's initial velocity and the angle at which it approached the object it collided with.

5. How can I test and verify the accuracy of my calculations for the angle of a billiard ball after a collision?

The best way to test and verify the accuracy of your calculations for the angle of a billiard ball after a collision is to conduct experiments and compare your calculated results to the actual outcomes of the experiments. You can also use simulations or technological tools to help visualize and analyze the physics of billiard ball collisions.