Is the Universe able to evolve due to fundamental forces?

In summary, this idea--CNS--has been discussed for many years and there is evidence that it makes testable predictions. However, it is controversial and some people think it is too radical.
Lyre
I'm sorry if I posted this is the wrong section, but I was wondering if fundamental forces evolve? In other words, can universes evolve. Since stagnant ones eventually die out. And the successful ones produce black holes; transferring matter into a whole new beginning.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Universes do not collapse into or form from black holes. The 4 forces do not evolve.
I suggest reading the FAQ sub forum.

Lyre said:
I'm sorry if I posted this is the wrong section, but I was wondering if fundamental forces evolve? In other words, can universes evolve. Since stagnant ones eventually die out. And the successful ones produce black holes; transferring matter into a whole new beginning.

This is a testable scientific hypothesis which has been written about in the professional research literature starting in 1992.
It is one of a number of ideas that are on the table, have not been generally accepted but have not been ruled out yet, and deserve serious consideration.
Some of those who have discussed this idea (called CNS, cosmological natural selection) pro and con are L. Smolin, A. Vilenkin, L. Susskind, J. Silk. The CNS idea is radical and controversial--however it makes testable predictions which have stood up for the past 20 years, which might have been falsified by observation during this time, but were not.

If you want links in order to find out more about CNS you should indicate whether you want technical-level research papers or whether you want popular writing. Research papers are normally free online, while popularizations may not be.

A recent popular essay or "conversation" which is free online and discusses cosmological evolution ideas--CNS and other schemes--is one you can get by googling "smolin edge nature".
http://www.edge.org/conversation/think-about-nature This is titled "Think about nature" and is in the form of a video talk with transcript, so you can either watch or read it. I did both. I thought it was pretty interesting.

A popular book (not recent, 1997) you can get from library is called "Life of the Cosmos". I don't know how much you know about CNS. Maybe you have already read this. I don't want to repeat stuff. FWIW the Wikipedia article on Lee Smolin has a section on this idea. Googling "Cosmological Natural Selection" would get additional stuff including this:
http://evodevouniverse.com/wiki/Cosmological_natural_selection_(fecund_universes [Broken])
I can't recommend it because I haven't checked it out, just toss out the link FWIW.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do fundamental forces affect the evolution of the Universe?

The four fundamental forces of nature (gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force) play a crucial role in the evolution of the Universe. These forces govern the interactions between particles and determine the structure and behavior of matter.

2. Can the Universe evolve without the presence of fundamental forces?

No, the Universe cannot evolve without fundamental forces. These forces are responsible for the formation of stars, galaxies, and other cosmic structures. Without them, the Universe would be a uniform and lifeless void.

3. How do fundamental forces contribute to the expansion of the Universe?

The expansion of the Universe is primarily driven by the force of gravity. The other fundamental forces also play a role in shaping the large-scale structure of the Universe. For example, the electromagnetic force holds atoms together, allowing for the formation of stars and galaxies.

4. Can the strength of fundamental forces change over time?

According to current theories, the strength of fundamental forces does not change over time. However, some theories, such as string theory, propose the existence of extra dimensions and multiple universes where the strength of these forces may vary.

5. How does the concept of dark energy relate to the role of fundamental forces in the Universe's evolution?

Dark energy is a mysterious force that is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the Universe. It is not a fundamental force but rather a property of space itself. However, the presence of dark energy does affect the behavior of the other fundamental forces and ultimately plays a crucial role in the evolution of the Universe.