Understanding Generalized Coordinates in Goldstein's Classical Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of generalized coordinates in classical mechanics. It is stated that any coordinate system can be considered as generalized coordinates, including polar and spherical coordinates. The concept of generalized coordinates is further explained, and it is mentioned that even cartesian coordinates can be considered as generalized coordinates.
radou
Homework Helper
I have just started to read Goldstein's classical mechanics, and he got me a bit confused: is it correct to think of polar and spherical coordinates as of generalized coordinates? the way I got it, every coordinate system different from the standard cartesian-one is a set of generalized coordinates...?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Think about the 1D movement along the "x" axis. Which is the generalized coordinate...?

Daniel.

Generalized coordinates refer to any coordinate system. i.e. a statement about generalized coordinates holds for cartesian, spherical, cylindrical, etc. coordinate systems. In particular, one is free to choose any convenient coordinate system for a problem and solve the problem using Lagrange's equations for that coordinate system.

radou said:
I have just started to read Goldstein's classical mechanics, and he got me a bit confused: is it correct to think of polar and spherical coordinates as of generalized coordinates?

Yes, polar and spherical coordinates are generalized coordiantes for the position of a single particle. But general coordinates are a lot moe general. And cartesian coordinates are, technically at least, also "general coordinates".

Carl

1. What are generalized coordinates in Goldstein's Classical Mechanics?

Generalized coordinates in Goldstein's Classical Mechanics are a set of variables that describe the position and orientation of a system in terms of its degrees of freedom. These coordinates are independent of each other and can be used to fully describe the system's configuration.

2. Why do we use generalized coordinates in classical mechanics?

Generalized coordinates are used in classical mechanics because they simplify the mathematical description of a system. They allow for a more compact and efficient representation of the system's configuration, making it easier to solve equations of motion and analyze the dynamics of the system.

3. How do we determine the number of generalized coordinates needed for a system?

The number of generalized coordinates needed for a system is equal to the number of degrees of freedom of that system. Degrees of freedom refer to the number of independent ways a system can move or change its configuration. For example, a point particle in three-dimensional space has three degrees of freedom, so we would need three generalized coordinates to fully describe its position.

4. Can we choose any set of variables as generalized coordinates?

No, not all sets of variables can be used as generalized coordinates. The chosen variables must be independent of each other and must fully describe the position and orientation of the system. In addition, they should be easy to work with mathematically, making the analysis of the system simpler.

5. How do generalized coordinates relate to other coordinate systems?

Generalized coordinates are related to other coordinate systems through a transformation known as a coordinate transformation. This transformation allows us to express the generalized coordinates in terms of other coordinate systems, such as Cartesian or polar coordinates. This can be useful when analyzing a system from different perspectives or when solving equations of motion in different coordinate systems.