Solving the Bohr Model of Atom: Transition from n=7 to n=5

In summary, the question is asking about the mass change of an H atom when it makes a transition from n=7 to n=5 state. To solve this, you need to find the energy change using the formula E=mc^2 and then use the conversion of 1 eV = 1.6 x 10^-19 J to convert the energy into Joules. Once you have the energy in Joules, you can solve for the mass change by equating it with mc^2 and solving for m.
Jodi
Hi; Could someone please help me with this question: By what fraction does the mass of an H atom decrease when it makes an n=7 to n=5 transition? How would I go about this question? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a mass change?

I guess so. That's what confuses me about the question. I don't know how to incorporate the mass into it. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks.

What's the energy change?

Next, use [itex]E=mc^2[/itex].

Ok, so I find the energy change by doing E of upper state - energy of lower state right? So I get (-0.2) - (-0.5) = 0.3 After I find this energy change, how do i find the decrease in mass? If I use E=mc^2, I plug in 0.3 into E and 1.00794 into m? What am I solving for? I'm confused. Thanks for your help.

As per [itex]E=mc^2[/itex] , Mass is the condensed form of energy . So whenever energy is released from particle , it is accompanied by a small mass change. So calculate the energy change from one state to another , and then equate the energy change with [itex]mc^2[/itex].

BJ

You're trying to find m. c is the speed of light, which is [itex]3 \times 10^8[/itex] m/s. If you want m in kilograms, you need E in Joules. Your 0.3 is not in Joules, so you'll need to convert it.

If your energies are in eV, the conversion is: [itex]1 eV = 1.6 \times 10^{-19} J[/itex]

1. What is the Bohr Model of Atom?

The Bohr Model of Atom is a model proposed by Danish physicist Niels Bohr in 1913 to explain the structure of an atom. It states that electrons orbit around the nucleus in specific energy levels or shells, with the closest shell having the lowest energy and the outermost shell having the highest energy.

2. What is the significance of the transition from n=7 to n=5 in the Bohr Model of Atom?

The transition from n=7 to n=5 in the Bohr Model of Atom represents the movement of an electron from a higher energy level to a lower energy level. This transition results in the emission of electromagnetic radiation in the form of a photon.

3. How do you solve the Bohr Model of Atom for the transition from n=7 to n=5?

To solve the Bohr Model of Atom for the transition from n=7 to n=5, you need to use the formula ΔE = -Rhc(1/nfinal2 - 1/ninitial2), where ΔE is the change in energy, R is the Rydberg constant, h is Planck's constant, and c is the speed of light. Plug in the values of n=7 and n=5 to calculate the change in energy.

4. What factors influence the transition from n=7 to n=5 in the Bohr Model of Atom?

The transition from n=7 to n=5 in the Bohr Model of Atom is influenced by the energy difference between the two levels, the charge of the nucleus, and the mass of the electron. The energy difference between the levels determines the wavelength of the emitted photon, while the charge of the nucleus and the mass of the electron affect the speed and energy of the electron.

5. How does the Bohr Model of Atom explain the stability of atoms?

The Bohr Model of Atom explains the stability of atoms by stating that electrons can only exist in certain energy levels or shells around the nucleus. When the electrons are in their lowest possible energy state, the atom is considered stable. Any excess energy is emitted in the form of a photon, resulting in a stable configuration.