Voltmeter Measurement: Peak vs RMS?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between peak and rms voltage and the importance of using true rms voltmeters for accurate readings. The speakers also mention their personal experiences and advice on using voltmeters for Physics lab assignments.
discoverer02
I took some measurements for a Physics lab and don't recall whether the Voltmeter I used reports the peak voltage or rms voltage. I need rms voltage to calculate the rms current. Can anyone tell me what the norm is for voltmeters: peak or rms?

To divide by the [squ]2 or not to divide by the [squ]2, that is the question.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
My guess, RMS.

Hey, that rhymed.

If it was giving you a steady reading for AC voltage, it was probably RMS.

Actually, the vasssssst majority of AC voltmeters are peak-to-peak. Some of them which say "RMS" actually only give the correct RMS voltage at one frequency, usually 60 Hz. Only a meter which says "true RMS" will actually give you the RMS amplitude at all frequencies.

Just because the meter is not true RMS does not mean it will not give a steady reading -- it will. It'll just be an incorrect steady reading.

- Warren

Fair enough. The Fluke handhelds I always use always give me true RMS. I shouldn't have assumed that applied to others considering what happens when you assume... Sorry if I was the source of misinformation.

I vaguely remember the instructor saying something about the meter measuring the peak voltage, but needed to confirm before I finish my lab assignment.

Thanks very much for the help.

1. What is a voltmeter measurement?

A voltmeter measurement is a type of electrical measurement used to determine the voltage in a circuit. It is typically measured in units of volts (V) and is used to ensure that a circuit is functioning properly.

2. What is the difference between peak and RMS measurements?

Peak measurements display the maximum voltage in a circuit, while RMS (Root Mean Square) measurements show the effective or average voltage. Peak measurements are useful for understanding the overall voltage range, while RMS measurements are more accurate for calculating power and determining the overall behavior of a circuit.

3. When should I use a peak measurement vs an RMS measurement?

Peak measurements are useful for analyzing transient or short-term voltage fluctuations, such as spikes or surges. RMS measurements are better for analyzing the overall behavior of a circuit, such as calculating power consumption or determining the effectiveness of a circuit.

4. How is a voltmeter measurement taken?

A voltmeter measurement is taken by connecting the voltmeter in parallel with the component or circuit being measured. The voltmeter will then display the voltage reading in either peak or RMS units, depending on the setting.

5. What are some common applications of voltmeter measurements?

Voltmeter measurements are commonly used in electrical engineering, physics, and other scientific fields. They are used to measure voltage in circuits, test the effectiveness of electrical equipment, and ensure proper functioning of electronic devices. They are also used in the design and testing of electrical systems, as well as in troubleshooting and diagnosing problems in circuits.