Otto Cycle - Thermodynamics - Efficiency

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of the Otto cycle, which approximates the behavior of a four stroke gasoline engine. The steps of the cycle and a sketch of the process in a P-V diagram are provided. The efficiency of the process is calculated and expressed in terms of the temperatures and compression ratio. The conversation also includes a discussion on how to obtain the expression for efficiency using heat and work calculations.
ChronicQuantumAddict
Please help with the following question, completely lost: :yuck:

The behavior of a four stroke gasoline engine can be approximated by the so-called Otto cycle. The process is as follows (6 steps):

1) Isobaric Intake (from V=0) at atmospheric pressure up to volume V1 (maximal volume), Temperature T1

2) Adiabatic compression to volume V2, Temperature T2

3) Isochoric increase of Temperature during ignition to T3

4) Adiabatic expansion to V1 (max volume), Temperature T4

5) Isochoric decrease of temperature (to T1)

6) and Isobaric exhaust to V=0 at atmospheric pressure.

Sketch the process in a P-V diagram. Assume the working substance is an ideal gas and calculate the efficiency of the process. Express the result in terms of the temperatures T1, T2, T3, and T4. If the compression ratio is given by r = V1/V2, express the efficieny with r. For an Engine with r = 8, and gamma = 1.5 what do u obtain? (Note gamma is the ration of specific heats, Cp/Cv).

Please help, i don't know how a graph can be sketched on here, because i have an idea of the graph, but if someone could post this diagram along with a clue or the procedures on how to obtain the answer it would be much appreciated. Thanks :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Efficiency is going to be (Net work done by the system)/(Total Heat supplied to the system).
So, you have to express the net work done and total heat supplied in terms of the known quantities.
Try calculating the heat supplied to or lost from the system in each step. Since change in the net Internal energy is zero for the whole cyclic process, if you can find the heat supplied to or lost from the system in each step, you can easily find the work done for the whole process.

hmm, can u be a little bit more specific, how would i get the heat supplied? and thanks

ok, i have drawn the steps in the diagram, but i am still confused on how to obtain the heats in each step. i know i need to use W_net = W1 + W2 + W3 + ... = (Closed Integral) P*dV to obtain the net work, and then with that, i can calculate the efficieny. but i am still stuck, any other pointers? thanks

same here, due tomorrow, please help...

well I am quite sorry for reposting, but i did not understand the help, and no one was replying to the post, so i reposted to get it back up to the top so people can see it. Can someone please help me a little more?

Your question is very unclear. Please make it clearer. Thanks!

i can't make it clearer, that it the question, i have found the expression from the book to be:

Efficiency = 1 - [(T4-T1)/(T3-T2)] = 1 - [1/(r^(gamma-1))]

where gamma = ratio of heat capacities, and r = compression ratio. But i do not know how to obtain this expression from the heat and work. Can someone help me to see how this is done?

At the moment i am trying to work backwards from this expression to try and obtain the method to derive it. any help is much appreciated, its due in 2 hours

:smile: Well, why did you post it here at the last minute? Come on, what do you expect?

OptimusPrime said:
:smile: Well, why did you post it here at the last minute? Come on, what do you expect?

Actually, i posted it here several days ago, but i was able to solve the problem, thanks everyone who helped.:wink:

first watch the image.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:P-V_otto.pngefficiency=output/input.
output=heat supplied(h.s)-heat rejected(h.r)
input = heat supplied.

effi = (h.s-h.r)/h.s=1-(h.r/h.s)

h.s = mCv(T3-T2)
h.r = -mCv(T1-T4) = mCv(T4-T1)

effi. = 1-((T4-T1)/(T3-T2))
sorry for late reply.
i saw this site just today.

first watch the image.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:P-V_otto.png

efficiency=output/input.
output=heat supplied(h.s)-heat rejected(h.r)
input = heat supplied.

effi = (h.s-h.r)/h.s=1-(h.r/h.s)

h.s = mCv(T3-T2)
h.r = -mCv(T1-T4) = mCv(T4-T1)

effi. = 1-((T4-T1)/(T3-T2))

sorry for late reply.
i saw this site just today.

1. What is the Otto Cycle and how does it relate to thermodynamics?

The Otto Cycle is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that describes the functioning of a four-stroke combustion engine. It consists of four stages: intake, compression, power, and exhaust. The cycle is named after its inventor, Nikolaus Otto, and is widely used in automotive engines.

2. How does the efficiency of the Otto Cycle compare to other thermodynamic cycles?

The efficiency of the Otto Cycle is lower than other theoretical cycles, such as the Carnot Cycle, due to the inefficiencies in the combustion process. However, the Otto Cycle is more practical and is used in most gasoline-powered engines due to its simplicity and low cost.

3. How is the efficiency of the Otto Cycle calculated?

The efficiency of the Otto Cycle is calculated by taking the ratio of the net work output to the heat input. This can be expressed as: Efficiency = (Net work output / Heat input) x 100%. The ideal efficiency of the Otto Cycle is given by the Carnot Efficiency formula, which is dependent on the temperatures at which the heat transfer occurs.

4. What factors affect the efficiency of the Otto Cycle?

The efficiency of the Otto Cycle is affected by several factors, including the compression ratio, air-fuel ratio, ignition timing, and engine speed. Higher compression ratios and proper air-fuel mixture can lead to higher efficiency, while incorrect ignition timing and low engine speeds can decrease efficiency.

5. How can the efficiency of the Otto Cycle be improved?

The efficiency of the Otto Cycle can be improved by implementing technologies such as turbochargers, variable valve timing, and direct injection. These technologies can increase the power output and improve fuel efficiency by optimizing the combustion process. Additionally, using alternative fuels such as biodiesel or ethanol can also improve the efficiency of the Otto Cycle.