Five similarities between DNA and Protein?

In summary, there are several similarities between DNA and protein. Both are made up of smaller molecules to form chains, with DNA being made up of nucleic acids and protein being made up of amino acids. Additionally, both molecules have different side groups, with DNA having A,T,G,C and protein having R groups. They also both use similar types of reactions to join monomers. Lastly, the 4 nitrogenous bases of DNA can be considered the side chains of the molecule, similar to the R groups of protein.
meganw

Homework Statement

Name five similarities between DNA and Protein (college biology class)

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know one similarity is that both are made up of smaller molecules to form chains. (Polypetide chains are formed from amino acids linked together by peptide bonds and DNA is formed by nucleic acids (a combination of 3 parts: nitrogenous bases, phophroic acid and dexyribose (5 carbon sugar)).

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure but could this be considered a similarity, their basic monomers that is nucleic acid (DNA) and amino acid (protein) have different side groups. So for DNA: A,T,G,C while for protein it is the R -groups.

For another similarity consider the type of reaction used to join monomers.

What shapes both molecules?

Do hydrophobic tendencies shape the molecules? Or is it just the polarity/charge?

What are the types of reactions to join monomers?

And I think side chains is a good idea. Protein side chains are the R groups, right? And then the 4 nitrogenous bases could be considered the sidechains of DNA, right?

p.s. I've only been in this biology class less than 2 weeks so bare with me, I'm just starting!

What are the five similarities between DNA and Protein?

1. Both DNA and protein are essential macromolecules found in all living organisms.

2. Both are made up of smaller units - nucleotides for DNA and amino acids for proteins.

3. Both play a crucial role in the functioning and development of cells.

4. Both undergo complex processes to replicate and transcribe genetic information.

5. Both are subject to genetic mutations, which can result in changes to an organism's traits or characteristics.