How much work a battery does connected to a resistor

In summary: To calculate this you need to add the work done on the external resistance to the work done heating up the battery.In summary, a battery with an EMF of 12.0 volts and an internal resistance of 3 ohms is connected to a 21.0 ohm resistance. With 0.5 amps flowing through both the battery and resistance, the potential difference across the resistance is 10.5 volts. To calculate the work done by the battery in one minute, we use the equation W=I^2Rt, where I is the current in coulombs per minute and R is the resistance of the battery. This gives us a total
Marina1234567

Homework Statement

A battery has an EMF of 12.0 volts and internal resistance of 3 ohms
A 21.0 ohm resistance is connected to the battery.
0.5 Amps flow through the battery, hence 0.5 Amps flows through the 21.0 ohm resistor
The potential difference across the 21 ohm resistor is 10.5 Volts, hence the terminal voltage of the battery is 10.5 Volts.

The question is How much work does the battery connected to the 21.0 ohm resisitor perform in one minute?

Homework Equations

Voltage = Joule/coloumb
1 amp = coloumb/ second = (6.258 *10^18 electrons) second
1 electron has a charge -1.60*10^-19 coloumbs

The Attempt at a Solution

current = 0.5 Amps = 3.125*10^18 electron/ second = 30 coloumbs pass wire per minute

usisng the definition of EMF (voltage): 30 coloumbs/ minute * 10.5 volts = 315 Joules

however it keeps on telling me that answer is wrong i know its simple i just can't see it right now thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
1 amp x 1 volt = 1 coul/sec x 1 joule/coul = 1 joule/sec = 1 watt

Marina1234567 said:
usisng the definition of EMF (voltage): 30 coloumbs/ minute * 10.5 volts[/B] = 315 Joules

Using the EMF definition, shouldn't you use EMF and not Terminal voltage?

My thought on your problem is as follows.
You have a terminal Voltage of 10.5 V, EMF of 12V, Flow of 1/2 A..so pretty much everything you need.

Use the equation for Work on a Resistance : [itex]W=I^2 R t [/itex] where R=r the resistance of the battery. That gives you 45 Joules produced in 60s = 1minute.

I don't take it for granted that I am correct!

karkas said:
My thought on your problem is as follows.
You have a terminal Voltage of 10.5 V, EMF of 12V, Flow of 1/2 A..so pretty much everything you need.

Use the equation for Work on a Resistance : [itex]W=I^2 R t [/itex] where R=r the resistance of the battery. That gives you 45 Joules produced in 60s = 1minute.

I don't take it for granted that I am correct!

Lets try not to mislead him. He had it mostly correct. Since Volt = Joules/Coulomb he already had the current in C/min...

30 C/min * 12 (J/C) = ___J/min

Marina1234567 said:

Homework Statement

A battery has an EMF of 12.0 volts and internal resistance of 3 ohms
A 21.0 ohm resistance is connected to the battery.
0.5 Amps flow through the battery, hence 0.5 Amps flows through the 21.0 ohm resistor
The potential difference across the 21 ohm resistor is 10.5 Volts, hence the terminal voltage of the battery is 10.5 Volts.

The question is How much work does the battery connected to the 21.0 ohm resisitor perform in one minute?

Homework Equations

Voltage = Joule/coloumb
1 amp = coloumb/ second = (6.258 *10^18 electrons) second
1 electron has a charge -1.60*10^-19 coloumbs

The Attempt at a Solution

current = 0.5 Amps = 3.125*10^18 electron/ second = 30 coloumbs pass wire per minute

usisng the definition of EMF (voltage): 30 coloumbs/ minute * 10.5 volts = 315 Joules

however it keeps on telling me that answer is wrong i know its simple i just can't see it right now thanx

Actually I think the only error is due to the question being a little tricky in wording. You calculated the work done by the battery on the external resistance. The battery also heats up due to the current flowing through its internal resistance...

1. How does a battery do work when connected to a resistor?

A battery does work when connected to a resistor by converting chemical energy into electrical energy. This electrical energy is then used to push electrons through the resistor, creating a flow of current.

2. What factors affect the amount of work a battery does when connected to a resistor?

The amount of work a battery does when connected to a resistor is affected by the voltage of the battery, the resistance of the resistor, and the amount of time the battery is connected to the resistor.

3. How does the resistance of a resistor impact the work done by a battery?

The resistance of a resistor affects the work done by a battery by determining the amount of current that can flow through the circuit. A higher resistance will result in a lower current, and therefore, less work done by the battery.

4. Can a battery do more work when connected to multiple resistors?

Yes, a battery can do more work when connected to multiple resistors in a series or parallel circuit. In a series circuit, the total resistance is greater than the individual resistances, resulting in a lower current and more work done by the battery. In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is less than the individual resistances, resulting in a higher current and more work done by the battery.

5. Is the work done by a battery connected to a resistor constant?

No, the work done by a battery connected to a resistor is not constant. It decreases over time as the battery's chemical energy is depleted. The amount of work done also varies depending on the resistance and voltage in the circuit.