CD: How can I compute conformal killing vector fields on a 2D manifold?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem the speaker is having with a specific identity in Polchinski's string book. They are trying to compute conformal killing vector fields but are unsure how to prove the identity, which involves the Ricci scalar. They discuss different approaches and equations, including an equation that only works when integrated over. They eventually come to a general understanding of the problem and its solution, with one speaker explaining the use of integration by parts and the other speaker discussing the goal of finding the number of conformal killing vectors and metric moduli for a surface of genus g.
negru
Hey guys, I'm working on Polchinski's string book, and I have a problem. Around page 152 he uses an identity I'm not sure how to prove. Essentially he wants to compute conformal killing vector fields. So we have the eq for a CKV:

[tex]
P_{ab}=\Delta_a \xi_b+ \Delta_b\xi_a- g_{ab}\Delta_c\xi^c=0
[/tex]

And what I need to prove is that, in general

[tex]
P_{ab}P^{ab}=\Delta_a \xi_b\Delta^a \xi^b-R \xi_a\xi^a,
[/tex]

Where R is the Ricci scalar. This identity might (or might not) only work when integrated over, ie
[tex]

\int d^2x \sqrt{g}P_{ab}P^{ab} = ...
[/tex]
I suspect this might be useful to get some integration by parts.

My GR is a little rusty, so I'm not sure how to get it. I can expand all the Lie derivatives, collect some terms, etc, and I get:

[tex]
2\Delta_a \xi_b\Delta^a \xi^b+2(\xi_{b,a}-\Gamma^i_{ba}\xi_i)(\xi^a_{,b}+\Gamma^a_{jb}\xi^j)-g^{ab}\Delta_c\xi^c(\xi_{b,a}+\xi_{a,b}-2\Gamma^{i}_{ba}\xi_i)-g_{ab}\Delta_c\xi^c(\xi^b_{,a}+\xi^a_{,b}+\Gamma^b_{ia}\xi^i+\Gamma^a_{ib}\xi^i)
[/tex]

Am I on the right track? I just don't see how to get a Ricci scalar out of all those terms..For example I would need two terms like
[tex]
\Gamma^a_{bc}\Gamma^c_{de}-\Gamma^a_{ec}\Gamma^c_{db}
[/tex]

If anyone did a calculation like this before or can easily spot that it does work out, please let me know! I just need to know if I'm the right track...GR calculations seem to usually work out, but for this one I'm lacking a general sense of direction in manipulating the indices ...you need like a million contractions to get the Ricci scalar :) Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can try to do get the equation

[tex]P^{ab}P_{ab}=4\xi_{b;a}g^{ab}(1-\xi^c_{;c})+\xi^c_{;c}\xi^c_{;c}.[/tex]

Can't you?

---------------------------------
How do you define [tex]\Delta^c\xi_c[/tex]? That is so rare in GR contexts!

Well I assume
[tex]
\Delta^c\xi_c=g^{ac}\Delta_a\xi_c
[/tex]
I mean that's the only thing I can imagine..otherwise I don't know what P^{ab} would be.

I'm not sure how to get to your equation. If I write everything out I get:
[tex]
P_{ab}P^{ab}=(\Delta_a\xi_b+\Delta_b\xi_a)(\Delta^a\xi^b+\Delta^b\xi^a)+g_{ab}g^{ab}\Delta_c\xi^c\Delta_c\xi^c+ \text{etc}
[/tex]
and
[tex]
(\Delta_a\xi_b+\Delta_b\xi_a)(\Delta^a\xi^b+\Delta^b\xi^a)=2\Delta_a\xi_b(\Delta^a\xi^b+\Delta^b\xi^a)
[/tex]

[tex]
g_{ab}g^{ab}\Delta_c\xi^c\Delta_c\xi^c= 2 \Delta_c\xi^c\Delta_c\xi^c
[/tex]

[tex]
etc=-2\Delta_c\xi^cg^{ab}(\Delta_b\xi_a+\Delta_a\xi_b)
[/tex]
It doesn't seem to add up to what you have :-?
For example, where would
[tex]
4\xi_{b;a}g^{ab}
[/tex]
come from?

That identity is only true when integrating by parts (and off by an overall factor of 2). First prove that
[tex]
\nabla_a \nabla_b \xi^b = 0
[/tex]
for a conformal Killing vector. You then integrate by parts and use Ricci's identity plus the fact that a Ricci tensor in 2 dimensions is entirely determined by the Ricci scalar (and the metric).

I don't have Polchinski, so I'm curious. Is he trying to write down a variation principle for an "approximate conformal Killing vector?"

I should probably add some extra information: In these kinds of problems, it is almost never a good idea to expand things using Christoffel symbols. The equation defining a conformal Killing vector is actually independent of the choice of derivative operator if written as [itex]\mathcal{L}_\xi g_{ab} = g_{ab} \phi[/itex]. The Lie derivative expands to
[tex]
\mathcal{L}_\xi g_{ab} = \xi^c D_c g_{ab} + g_{ac} D_b \xi^c + g_{cb} D_a \xi^c
[/tex]
for any derivative operator [itex]D_a[/itex].

In the two dimensions you're considering, [itex]\phi = \nabla_a \xi^a[/itex] for the metric-compatible derivative operator [itex]\nabla_a[/itex]. It is, of course, convenient to use this derivative when integrating by parts. You then use the general identity
[tex]
(\nabla_a \nabla_b - \nabla_b \nabla_a) \xi^c = - R_{abd}{}^{c} \xi^d
[/tex]
to eventually get the Ricci tensor and then the Ricci scalar.

Ok I think I got the general idea now, thanks! I can get it to this form
[tex]
2\nabla_a\xi_b\nabla^a\xi^b+2\nabla_a\xi_b\nabla^b\xi^a-2\nabla_a\xi^a\nabla_b\xi^b
[/tex]
and I assume that now I should use integration by parts. However some details are still escaping me.

For example, how does integrating by parts precisely work? Naively I assumed from the start it should somehow work like
[tex]
\int d^2 x \sqrt{g} \nabla_a\xi^b\nabla_b\xi^a=\nabla_a\xi^b\xi^a|-\int d^2 x \sqrt{g} \nabla_b\nabla_a\xi^b\xi^a
[/tex]
But is it really just that simple?

And now is it immediately clear that the surface term is zero?

And third, I'm not very sure how or why your expression
[tex]\nabla_a \nabla_b \xi^b = 0[/tex],
appears. Should this be the surface term and what I did above is wrong? :-?

I don't have Polchinski, so I'm curious. Is he trying to write down a variation principle for an "approximate conformal Killing vector?"
Unless I'm mistaken, I think Polchinski does something like that in some other chapter, but here his goal is to find the number of conformal killing vectors (k=dim ker h_{ab} )and number of metric moduli (\mu=dim ker f_{ab}^T) for a surface of genus g. It turns out that by the Riemann-Roch theorem
\mu-k=-3\chi
He needs this when computing a path integral for strings.
You can find a better description of what is going on here if you're interested.
http://www.phys.columbia.edu/~kabat/strings/Spring08/handout3.pdf

negru said:
Well I assume
[tex]
\Delta^c\xi_c=g^{ac}\Delta_a\xi_c
[/tex]
I mean that's the only thing I can imagine..otherwise I don't know what P^{ab} would be.

I'm not sure how to get to your equation. If I write everything out I get:
[tex]
P_{ab}P^{ab}=(\Delta_a\xi_b+\Delta_b\xi_a)(\Delta^a\xi^b+\Delta^b\xi^a)+g_{ab}g^{ab}\Delta_c\xi^c\Delta_c\xi^c+ \text{etc}
[/tex]
and
[tex]
(\Delta_a\xi_b+\Delta_b\xi_a)(\Delta^a\xi^b+\Delta^b\xi^a)=2\Delta_a\xi_b(\Delta^a\xi^b+\Delta^b\xi^a)
[/tex]

[tex]
g_{ab}g^{ab}\Delta_c\xi^c\Delta_c\xi^c= 2 \Delta_c\xi^c\Delta_c\xi^c
[/tex]

[tex]
etc=-2\Delta_c\xi^cg^{ab}(\Delta_b\xi_a+\Delta_a\xi_b)
[/tex]
It doesn't seem to add up to what you have :-?
For example, where would
[tex]
4\xi_{b;a}g^{ab}
[/tex]
come from?

Well, I don't know why Polchinski writes the equation for P_{ab} as [tex]P_{ab}=\Delta_a \xi_b+ \Delta_b\xi_a- g_{ab}\Delta_c\xi^c=0[/tex] which is incorrect. It must be

[tex]P_{ab}=\Delta_a \xi_b+ \Delta_b\xi_a- \frac{1}{4}g_{ab}\Delta_c\xi^c=0[/tex]

in a four dimensional spacetime (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_Killing_equation).

If we are required to find the contravariant tensor [tex]T^{ab}[/tex] from its covariant version [tex]T_{cd}[/tex], simply use the rule

[tex]T^{ab}=g^{ac}g^{bd}T_{cd}.[/tex]

Now for P^{ab} one would get

[tex]P^{ab}=g^{ac}g^{bd}P_{cd}=(\Delta_c \xi_d+ \Delta_d\xi_c- \frac{1}{4}g_{cd}\Delta_h\xi^h)g^{bd}g^{ac}.[/tex]

AB

Last edited:
negru said:
For example, how does integrating by parts precisely work? Naively I assumed from the start it should somehow work like
[tex]
\int d^2 x \sqrt{g} \nabla_a\xi^b\nabla_b\xi^a=\nabla_a\xi^b\xi^a|-\int d^2 x \sqrt{g} \nabla_b\nabla_a\xi^b\xi^a
[/tex]
But is it really just that simple?

And now is it immediately clear that the surface term is zero?

Integration by parts is that simple. If you have some volume [itex]W[/itex],
[tex]
\int_W \nabla_a A^a dV = \int_{\partial W} A^a dS_a,
[/tex]
where I'm using covariant volume elements.

I don't really see why the surface terms should vanish, but I haven't thought about it. Maybe they are there, but ignored "for simplicity" or because they aren't needed for what's coming next (something annoyingly common in physics books).

And third, I'm not very sure how or why your expression
[tex]\nabla_a \nabla_b \xi^b = 0[/tex],
appears. Should this be the surface term and what I did above is wrong? :-?

This shows up twice. You integrate two terms by parts. One goes away (up to a surface term) due to this identity and the other is reduced to the Ricci term.

Altabeh: Polchinski is undoubtedly discussing string theory. From what negru has written, this is taking placing on the 2D manifold that is the string worldsheet.

Hmm I still don't see it. Starting from
[tex]2\nabla_a\xi_b\nabla^a\xi^b+2\nabla_a\xi_b\nabla^b \xi^a-2\nabla_a\xi^a\nabla_b\xi^b[/tex]

which I got above, the first term is ok, I need one like that, so I integrate by parts the other two, and I get
[tex]
s.t. -2 \int \nabla^b\nabla_a\xi_b\ \xi^a - s.t. + 2 \int \nabla_b\nabla_a\xi^a\xi^b
=2\int (-\nabla_b\nabla_a\xi^b\xi^a+\nabla_a\nabla_b\xi^b\xi^a) \text{etc}
[/tex]
and that's where I get my Ricci tensor. Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

Altabeh, the formula should have a 2/d factor where you put that 1/4, I'm not sure what's going on. And yes I should've mentioned this was for d=2, sorry about that.

Yes, that looks right. I was making it more complicated than necessary.

cool, thanks again!

negru said:
Altabeh, the formula should have a 2/d factor where you put that 1/4, I'm not sure what's going on. And yes I should've mentioned this was for d=2, sorry about that.

Yeah, I checked my notes and noticed that there is a "2" missing in the last term so for a 2D space this should reduce to what you exactly wrote.

Altabeh: Polchinski is undoubtedly discussing string theory. From what negru has written, this is taking placing on the 2D manifold that is the string worldsheet.

Got it!

AB

Last edited:

1. What is a conformal killing vector?

A conformal killing vector is a mathematical object in differential geometry that represents a symmetry of a conformal manifold. It is a vector field that preserves the conformal structure of the manifold, meaning that it scales all distances and angles by a constant factor.

2. How is a conformal killing vector related to conformal transformations?

Conformal killing vectors are closely related to conformal transformations. In fact, a conformal transformation can be thought of as a flow along a conformal killing vector. This means that a conformal killing vector generates a one-parameter group of transformations that preserve the conformal structure of the manifold.

3. What are some applications of conformal killing vectors?

Conformal killing vectors have various applications in physics and mathematics. They are used in differential geometry to study conformal manifolds, in general relativity to find symmetries of spacetime, and in quantum field theory to study conformal field theories. They also have applications in fluid mechanics, where they are used to study conformal invariance of flows.

4. How are conformal killing vectors defined mathematically?

Mathematically, a conformal killing vector is defined as a vector field that satisfies the conformal killing equation. This equation is a differential equation that relates the metric tensor of the manifold to the Lie derivative of the conformal factor along the vector field. In simpler terms, it means that the vector field must preserve the metric up to a scale factor.

5. Can a manifold have more than one conformal killing vector?

Yes, a manifold can have multiple conformal killing vectors. In fact, the set of all conformal killing vectors on a manifold forms a vector space. This means that we can add, subtract, and scale conformal killing vectors to obtain new conformal killing vectors. The dimension of this vector space is related to the dimension of the manifold and its underlying conformal structure.