How to determine if a set of vectors span a space

In summary: This means the given set of vectors doesn't span R3.In summary, A set of vectors spans a space if every vector in that space can be written as a linear combination of the vectors in the set. To determine if a set of vectors spans a space, you can check if the number of vectors in the set is equal to the dimension of the space. In this case, if the set has fewer vectors than the dimension of the space, it does not span the space.
mathmathmad

Homework Statement

How to determine if a set of vectors span a space in general?
say, V=R^n and you're given a few vectors and asked to determine if they span the space..
how do you do that?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmathmad said:

Homework Statement

How to determine if a set of vectors span a space in general?
say, V=R^n and you're given a few vectors and asked to determine if they span the space..
how do you do that?

A set S of vectors spans V iff every vector in V can be written as a linear combination of vectors in S.

Just to make this a little less abstract, suppose V = R3, and that S = {<1, 0, 1>, <0, 2, 5>}. Does this set of vectors span V?

I'm not quite sure with my way of finding the answer, which is NO i.e. do not span

would it be okay if you show me your working based on this example? :)

You tell me why you think this set doesn't span R3.

erm, I wrote it as augmented matrix

1 0 | 1 0 0
0 2 | 0 1 0
1 5 | 0 0 1

and start to reduce it to "reduced row echelon form" (that's why I started another thread before this asking about RRE form because I'm unsure how this works)

and on the 3rd row, i get 0 0 | 0 1/2 1/5 (inconsistent, so do not span?)

:( I'm looking for another way of determining the spanning set
this is what I get from google-ing O_O

There's a much simpler way to answer the question, that can be done with no computation. Answer the following questions and it will be obvious to you.

What's the dimension of R3 (i.e., dim(R3))?
How many vectors does it take to span R3?
How many vectors are there in S?
Does S span R3?

Going back to the work you did, you have a lot of extra stuff that doesn't make any sense to me. A given set of vectors spans R3 if any vector in R3 is some linear combination of the vectors in the set. IOW, for any vector <x, y, z>, there is a solution for the constants a and b in this equation:
a<1, 0, 1> + b<0, 2, 5> = <x, y, z>

Setting this up as an augmented matrix gives you this:

1 0 | x
0 2 | y
1 5 | z

After row reduction, I get j
1 0 | x
0 1 | y/2
0 0 | z-x -5y/2

The first two rows say that a = x and b = y/2, but the bottom row says that 0a + 0b = z - x - 5y/2. This last equation is saying that the system of equations has a solution only if z - x -5y/2 = 0. IOW, for some vectors <x, y, z> there is no solution.

What does it mean for a set of vectors to span a space?

When a set of vectors spans a space, it means that every vector within that space can be written as a linear combination of the given set of vectors. In other words, the set of vectors contains enough information to represent every possible vector within that space.

What is the process for determining if a set of vectors span a space?

The process for determining if a set of vectors spans a space involves creating a system of equations where the coefficients of the linear combination are unknown. If this system of equations has a solution for every vector in the space, then the set of vectors spans the space.

Can a set of vectors span more than one space?

Yes, a set of vectors can span more than one space. This is because the same set of vectors can be used to represent different combinations of vectors in different spaces. However, the set of vectors must be able to represent every vector within each space in order to span both spaces.

What happens if a set of vectors does not span a space?

If a set of vectors does not span a space, it means that there are some vectors within that space that cannot be written as a linear combination of the given set of vectors. This can happen if the set of vectors is not large enough or if they are not diverse enough to represent all possible vectors in the space.

Can a set of vectors span an infinite-dimensional space?

Yes, a set of vectors can span an infinite-dimensional space. This means that the set of vectors has enough information to represent every possible vector within that space, even if there are an infinite number of dimensions. This is often the case with vector spaces in higher-level math and physics.