Ohm's Law - Query regarding Current flowing in Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses using Ohm's Law to determine the equivalent resistance across a battery and the currents flowing in a circuit. The conversation includes equations and steps to calculate the current and voltage at different points in the circuit. Some confusion and potential errors are also addressed and corrected.
hockeynut

Homework Statement

(i) Using Ohm’s Law, determine the equivalent resistance across the battery (I think I've worked this out but am not sure I'm right)

(ii) Determine all the currents flowing in the circuit (I'm unsure how to get his?)

Homework Equations

Ohms Law

The Attempt at a Solution

See attached jpg potential solution to (i)

Attachments

• Q1 maybe.jpg
    Q1 maybe.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi hockeynut! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Once you have determined RD, and you know RA, you can calculate the current drawn from the battery. It all goes through RA, but divides and is shared between R2 and R3, for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi NascentOxygen,
Thank you for your advice. I will try what you have suggested.
Most appreciated.

Last edited:
Thank you for the help with the previous posting. I have gotten to the point attached, but am unsure regarding the voltage (current) across the r3, r4, r5 , and r6. I think r1 and r2 are ok. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 414
You are going to encounter problems when you write equations such as:
I1 = 1.044 x 6 = 6.264V

If I is current, then it can't have units of volts. Though it turns out that this isn't a calculation for current, 1.044 x 6 is a determination of voltage. So the subject of the formula won't be I1.

Don't be afraid to write words in among your calculations. I always say the layout of your working should read like a well-written essay! To wit,

Using RA and RD I determined the current in RA to be 1.044A.

So with this current through RA voltage drop across RA = 6k x 1.044A = 6.264v

Leaving voltage across R2 = 9.0 - 6.264 = ...

With this voltage across R4, the current to ground via R4 = ...
leaving a current through R3 of ...

and so on. See how you go now. :wink:

Hi NascentOxygen, Thank you kindly. I will review it tonight and see how I go. :)

Hi Nascent Oxygen,
Am I correct then in saying that the voltage going through loop two is 6.264v and divinding that by 8.62 resistance gives me the voltage for these two resistors R3 & R4 and follow the same rule for the next 2k / 1k resistor to get the right answer?

Last edited:
:confused:Hi,
Does this look anyway right?
:cry:

Attachments

• possible solution.jpg
    possible solution.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 430
The current through R1 is 1.044mA. This current causes a voltage drop across R1 leaving just 6.264v at the junction of R1-R2-R3. At this node, the current splits and 6.264/5 mA flows through R2 to ground.

So you shouldn't show all of that 1.044mA going into R3, some of it is lost to ground via R2.

Hi Nascent
I went down the following route, see below workings:
I = 9v/8.62k = 1.044 x 〖10〗^(-3)

From the previous section,
R_c=5.5 kΩ
⇒I_1=(5.5/(5.5+5)) I_tot
⇒I_1=(5.5/(5.5+5))×1.044 mA
⇒I_1=0.546 mA
⇒I_2=I_tot-I_1
⇒I_2=1.044-0.498
⇒I_2=0.0498 mA

R_A=3 kΩ
⇒I_3=I_4=(3/(3+3)) I_1
⇒I_3=I_4=(1/2)×0.546
⇒I_3=I_4=0.273 mA

Not sure I'm right...

hockeynut said:
I went down the following route, see below workings:
I = 9v/8.62k = 1.044 x 〖10〗^(-3)

From the previous section,
R_c=5.5 kΩ
⇒I_1=(5.5/(5.5+5)) I_tot
⇒I_1=(5.5/(5.5+5))×1.044 mA
⇒I_1=0.546 mA
(5.5/(5.5+5))×1.044 mA is the current to ground via R2.
⇒I_2=I_tot-I_1
⇒I_2=1.044-0.498
⇒I_2=0.0498 mA
No sure what this is.
R_A=3 kΩ
⇒I_3=I_4=(3/(3+3)) I_1
⇒I_3=I_4=(1/2)×0.546
⇒I_3=I_4=0.273 mA

Not sure I'm right...
Does the sum of the currents through R2, R4 and R6 equal 1.044 mA?

Last edited:

1. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that states the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. It states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.

2. How is Ohm's Law calculated?

Ohm's Law is calculated using the formula I = V/R, where I is the current in amperes, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms. This formula can also be rearranged to calculate for voltage or resistance, depending on which values are known.

3. What is the unit of measurement for current in Ohm's Law?

The unit of measurement for current in Ohm's Law is amperes (A), which is a unit of electric current. It is named after the French physicist Andre-Marie Ampere, who first discovered the relationship between current and magnetism.

4. Does Ohm's Law apply to all circuits?

Yes, Ohm's Law applies to all circuits that have a constant temperature and are composed of conductive materials. In other words, it applies to most common electrical circuits, including simple circuits and complex circuits with multiple components.

5. How does Ohm's Law affect the brightness of a light bulb in a circuit?

According to Ohm's Law, the current flowing through a circuit is directly proportional to the voltage. This means that as the current increases, the voltage also increases. In a circuit with a light bulb, a higher current will result in a brighter light, while a lower current will result in a dimmer light. This is because the resistance of the light bulb remains constant, so the increase in voltage leads to an increase in current and thus, a brighter light.