Read Mathematics like a newspaper?

• Thread starter AhmedEzz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, the individual letters and symbols in mathematics may not have inherent meaning, but by making connections and interpreting their context, one can better understand and grasp the concepts being conveyed. It is important to practice and ask questions to truly understand the meaning behind the symbols, rather than just trying to read them like a newspaper. The use of pencil and paper to work through the mathematics is also crucial in truly comprehending it.
AhmedEzz
Hi, the title is self-explanatory. I am wondering if there is something I can do to be able to read mathematics like I am reading a newspaper or book. Regardless of what the single letters are describing in natural language, I can understand -but maybe not conceptually grasp- what is being conveyed.

However, in maths, when I see simple things like F = m.a, yes I know what they mean because I have been told, however, I want to reach a level that I can identify and characterize, say, systems by just "reading" their relevant mathematics. One example is EM fields. The operations of multiplication, division, add/subtract has no "meaning" to me in a, say, 4D differential equation.

I study electromagnetics at a grad level. I don't need to be more "skilled" or "adept" at "solving" problems.

Pleas help!

Thank you very much.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
AhmedEzz said:
I am wondering if there is something I can do to be able to read mathematics like I am reading a newspaper or book.
If you can do this, the mathematics is so easy that you don't have to read it anyway.

AhmedEzz said:
I am wondering if there is something I can do to be able to read mathematics like I am reading a newspaper or book.

As with learning to read a second language... there is no substitute for practice. But it will never get as easy as reading a newspaper, because newspapers are written to be read easily.

I once took a course in mathematical economics taught by a professor who mentioned that he had taken the "Evelyn Wood" speed reading course with the goal to being able to read mathematical articles quickly. He found he couldn't. When he complained to the company, they told him he couldn't expect to read technical material as quickly as ordinary text and they refunded the money he paid for the course.

I think the only way to go over mathematical articles quickly amounts to skipping parts of them. For example, if you are reading a textbook and it begins to explain the properties of a vector space or something you already know then you can skip those parts. There is a slight risk in doing this since you may miss something important and not obvious.

My advice is to always ask the question, "what does it mean?". So you read something, you understand what it is saying, but then ask, what does it mean. For example, I see the chain rule in differentiation: D(f(g(x))) = f'(x) D(g(x)), so I ask, what does it mean? And the answer I get is, it means the same thing as this: D(f(x)) = f(x) dx -- here g(x) = x. So it is a generalization of the standard rule of differentiating a function. And now when I see ##{\partial f \over \partial x} dx##, I see an analog of the above, the result of f being differentiated in the x direction, so this is the directional x-derivative. And directional derivatives are now more easy for me to understand.

Try to make these connections, you could call it conceptual economy, try to have as few concepts as possible that do the widest possible work.

verty makes some very good points.

When you read mathematics, you are not reading the symbols: you are interpreting what they mean and the context that they are in.

Within language, its not about the letters but what the meaning that is conveyed: this is also true of mathematics (as it is for any language).

When you look at integral or a derivative, you are looking at accumulations or changes. An integral looks at summing changes whether those changes are areas, volumes, projections or something else.

If you are trying to understand symbols alone, then you will be missing all the meaning that was originally intended to be conveyed.

I wouldn't want to "read mathematics like a newspaper". You should always read mathematics with pencil and paper near by and do the mathematics while reading it.

1. What does it mean to "read mathematics like a newspaper"?

"Reading mathematics like a newspaper" refers to the ability to quickly and accurately understand the content and meaning of mathematical equations, symbols, and concepts, similar to how one would read and understand the information in a newspaper article.

2. Is it important to be able to read mathematics like a newspaper?

Yes, it is important for scientists and mathematicians to be able to read mathematics like a newspaper in order to effectively communicate and understand complex mathematical concepts and theories.

3. How can I improve my ability to read mathematics like a newspaper?

Practice and familiarity with mathematical equations and symbols is key to improving your ability to read mathematics like a newspaper. You can also try breaking down complex equations into smaller, more manageable parts and using real-life examples to understand their meaning.

4. Are there any specific tips or techniques for reading mathematics like a newspaper?

Some tips for reading mathematics like a newspaper include paying attention to key words and phrases, understanding the order of operations, and utilizing visual aids such as diagrams and graphs. It is also helpful to constantly review and reinforce your knowledge of basic mathematical concepts.

5. Can anyone learn to read mathematics like a newspaper?

Yes, with practice and dedication, anyone can improve their ability to read mathematics like a newspaper. It may come more naturally to some individuals, but with determination and effort, anyone can become proficient in reading and understanding mathematical equations and concepts.