Register to reply

Does the Higgs Boson exist?

by nst.john
Tags: boson, exist, higgs, nonexistent
Share this thread:
nst.john
Dec4-13, 07:25 PM
P: 112
I heard from a few sources that the Higgs Boson particle probably doesn't exist, is this true?

If so, what does this mean for the Big Bang theory? And how did it start the Big Bang theoretically anyway?

If not, what have the scientists at the LHC found? Is it the standard model Higgs, or a new type of Higgs?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
The_Duck
Dec4-13, 07:33 PM
P: 843
Quote Quote by nst.john View Post
I heard from a few sources that the Higgs Boson particle probably doesn't exist,
What sources? It's very hard to respond to "I heard somewhere..."

is this true?
No.

If so, what does this mean for the Big Bang theory?
The Higgs boson is probably unconnected to the Big Bang.

And how did it start the Big Bang theoretically anyway?
It didn't, as far as we know. It sounds like you have seen some reference to inflation, which is probably unconnected to the Higgs boson.

If not, what have the scientists at the LHC found? Is it the standard model Higgs, or a new type of Higgs?
As far as we can tell, the particle found at the LHC behaves exactly like the Standard Model Higgs.

Sorry for the terse responses; maybe if you can point to whatever motivated these questions someone can give more helpful answers.
turbo
Dec4-13, 07:33 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Links, please.

phinds
Dec4-13, 07:34 PM
PF Gold
P: 6,107
Does the Higgs Boson exist?

I heard from a few sources that the Higgs Boson particle probably doesn't exist
I'm sure your friend is much smarter than all those scientists at CERN who think they found it.
nst.john
Dec4-13, 08:13 PM
This is the article found that said the higgs boson most likely doesn't exist.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-te...oes-not-exist/
Vanadium 50
Dec4-13, 08:36 PM
Mentor
P: 16,166
Look at the date on that article. (Which isn't very good)

Now look at the date of the discovery.
The_Duck
Dec4-13, 09:57 PM
P: 843
That article is just completely wrong. Its author misinterpreted some announced results. The results ruled out a Higgs boson in a certain range of masses. Other masses were still allowed, and indeed the particle was later found with a mass in this allowed range. The article is also wrong when it suggests that the Higgs boson is thought to be responsible for the Big Bang.

The BBC article linked within looks much better.
nst.john
Dec4-13, 10:03 PM
I'll look into that last part thanks!

Register to reply