The physics involved in soccer?HELP PLS

• Thread starter terpsgirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the physics involved in soccer involve the ball having translational and rotational kinetic energy, air resistance and ground resistance, and how to meet the ball with one's foot or head.
terpsgirl
The physics involved in soccer?HELP PLS

I am writing an extra credit paper which is +10 pts added to my final grade...I decided to do it on soccer. He wants use to pick a topic that involves physics and write a 4 pg paper...
This is my paper so far:
In the game of soccer many physical aspects occur as soon as a ball is kicked. From the moment when a soccer player’s cleat makes direct contact with the ball to the moment when the ball it hits the ground or is shot into a goal, many different physical concepts become involved. I will touch base on a few of these concepts: 1. the effects that velocity has on the ball 2. The path the ball takes after being kicked (projectile motion) 3. and some important forces acting on the ball while it is in the air. Examples would be drag, gravity, flow of air, aerodyamics, Magnus Effect...

I just need to know if I'm off at a good start? I haven't been on this forum since last summer and it was very helpful! Please respond!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems reasonable.

The ball has translational as well as rotational kinetic energy, as well as linear and angular momentum, depending on how it is kicked.

Then there is the air resistance and ground resistance.

As a soccer (futbol) player, one can appreciate the physics invovled.

Knowing just how to meet the ball with one's foot or head is an art.

anymore suggestions or thoughts?

well is it necessary that I bring up translational/rotational kinetic energy, and linear and angular momentum or air resistance and ground resistance? I don't know how important these concepts are compared to what I am going to talk about in my paper. We can't go over 4 pgs so I was trying to keep it kinda simple...?

Maybe you could focus on one topic. I'm a bit curious how they can get the ball to bend so much on free kicks, i.e. around human walls. One would be tempted to say rotational kinetic energy, but if it is a knuckle ball (no spinning) how is it bending? This is true for baseball as well.

What is the role of physics in soccer?

Physics plays a crucial role in understanding and analyzing the movements and interactions of objects on the soccer field. It helps explain concepts such as trajectory, acceleration, and force that are essential in the game.

How does the shape of a soccer ball affect its movement?

The shape of a soccer ball greatly impacts its movement. The round shape allows for a smooth and predictable trajectory, while the panels on the surface create turbulence, making it easier to control and kick.

What is the physics behind a soccer player's kick?

The force and speed behind a player's kick are determined by various factors such as the angle of the foot upon impact, the area of contact with the ball, and the strength of the leg muscles. These factors, along with the properties of the ball, determine the resulting trajectory and distance of the kick.

How does air resistance affect the flight of a soccer ball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of a soccer ball. It affects the flight of the ball by slowing it down and causing it to deviate from its intended path. The shape, speed, and direction of the ball all play a role in the amount of air resistance it experiences.

What is the physics behind a goalkeeper's save?

A goalkeeper's save is a result of various physical principles, such as reaction time, velocity, and force. By predicting the trajectory of the ball, the goalkeeper can use their body and hands to apply the necessary force to deflect or catch the ball, preventing it from entering the goal.