Finding the antiderivative for fractions?

In summary, Benny explained that the antiderivative of a fraction is the power rule and that if you have a problem where x's are cancelling out, you can take out the x's and solve the problem that way. It can also be helpful to remember that the derivative of a fraction is just the antiderivative divided by the derivative of the original thing.
BlackMamba
Finding the antiderivative for fractions?

Hello,

I get antiderivatives and the idea behind them. But I still don't really comprehend how to apply it towards a fraction.

We know that [itex]\int (\frac{1}{x}) dx = ln|x|[/itex]

So would the antiderivative of [itex]\int (\frac{4}{x}) dx = 4(ln x)[/itex] ?

But here is a fraction I just am not sure where to start?
[itex]\int (\frac{4}{3x^2}) dx[/itex]

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your first antiderivative is correct. You should probably add an arbitrary constant unless the question asks for an antiderivative.

For the second one you can factor out constants and then use the power rule.

[tex]
\int {\frac{4}{{3x^2 }}} dx = \frac{4}{3}\int {\frac{1}{{x^2 }}} dx = \frac{4}{3}\int {x^{ - 2} dx}
[/tex]

Thanks Benny. I'm glad you mentioned the arbitrary constant. I forgot about that. I just get easily confused when it comes to taking the antiderivative of fractions. So let's say I had a problem like:

[itex]\int \frac{4x}{x}dx[/itex]

Could I say that the x's cancel so I'd be left with [itex]\int 4dx[/itex] which would equal [itex]4x[/itex]? This however doesn't make sense. Because the derivative of [itex]4x[/itex] would be 4.

So since I'm seeing that my first choice answer wouldn't be correct. I don't know what to do. LOL Could I take out the 4x?

BlackMamba said:
Thanks Benny. I'm glad you mentioned the arbitrary constant. I forgot about that. I just get easily confused when it comes to taking the antiderivative of fractions. So let's say I had a problem like:
[itex]\int \frac{4x}{x}dx[/itex]
Could I say that the x's cancel so I'd be left with [itex]\int 4dx[/itex] which would equal [itex]4x[/itex]? This however doesn't make sense. Because the derivative of [itex]4x[/itex] would be 4.
So since I'm seeing that my first choice answer wouldn't be correct. I don't know what to do. LOL Could I take out the 4x?

There is no need to take out the 4x. You are corrrect that the x's will cancel out leaving you with the integral of 4dx. This will give you 4x + c unless of course it integral is bounded.

The derivative of 4*x is 4. So it is true that what you said is all equal.

what you are probably not seeing is dv = 4dx. and so you take the integral of both sides and that equals v = 4x.

the derivative however would be dv/dx = 4x = 4.

Does this help?

Somewhat. I do have more questions, but they will have to be asked/answered possibly tomorrow. Thanks to the both of you for helping me out. :smile:

1. What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative is the reverse process of taking a derivative. It is a function that, when differentiated, will give the original function as its result.

2. How do I find the antiderivative of a fraction?

To find the antiderivative of a fraction, you can use the power rule, which states that the antiderivative of x^n is (x^(n+1))/(n+1). You can also use the method of u-substitution or integration by parts.

3. Can I use the same method for finding antiderivatives of all fractions?

No, the method for finding antiderivatives of fractions may vary depending on the complexity of the fraction. Some fractions may require more advanced techniques such as partial fractions or trigonometric substitution.

4. Is it necessary to simplify the fraction before finding the antiderivative?

It is not always necessary to simplify the fraction before finding the antiderivative, but it may make the process easier. Simplifying the fraction can help identify any patterns or terms that can be integrated separately.

5. Can I use a calculator or computer program to find the antiderivative of a fraction?

Yes, there are many calculators and computer programs that can find the antiderivative of a fraction. However, it is important to understand the concepts behind finding antiderivatives so that you can check the accuracy of the results.