Building a Gravity-Powered Vehicle: 5 Meter Challenge

In summary, Tide said that we need to make our own wheels and axle system, and he offered some ideas on how to do this. He also said that we need to make a sketch followed by a prototype to help discover design flaws.
anna.kate
i have to build a vehicle "powered soely by gravitational potential energy that will travel at least a linewar distance of 5 meters under its own power. no elastic potential energy (such as a mousetrap) allowed"

i was wondering if anyone out there had any idea on where to start or knew of a website that would provide blueprints of some sort.

thanks a million!

Physics news on Phys.org
What ideas have you come up with so far?

well, we have to create our own wheels and axle system... like we can't use anything that was made for a wheel or an axle, so i was thinking i would use dowel rods for the axel, and depending on how heavy it was, i would use cds or pvc endcaps for the wheels... and then maybe lead fishing sinkers for the weight? i just don't know where to start...

There are lots of possibilities. How about a pulley arrangement where a falling lead weight (attached to the pulley) turns your axle to propel the car?

The pulley system could also incorporate a flywheel in order to keep going after the weight has reached the bottom (one could maybe also start the motion of the vehicle only after the weight dropped - engage drive mechanism - after the flywheel have build up speed)

Another idea - use a water steam coming from the bottom of a container to drive the vehicle.

tide, what you said is exactly what i was thinking... but where do i start? and how do i get the string not to catch anywhere on the car? like, do i need a plastic piece of some sort?

anna.kate said:
tide, what you said is exactly what i was thinking... but where do i start? and how do i get the string not to catch anywhere on the car? like, do i need a plastic piece of some sort?

Start by making a sketch followed by a prototype to help discover design flaws - such as string getting caught. You may need guide grooves or holes or some kind of guard such as plastic or screening material.

Good luck!

thanks for your help!

1. What is a gravity-powered vehicle?

A gravity-powered vehicle is a type of vehicle that uses the force of gravity to move. It does not require any external power source, such as an engine or motor, to operate.

2. How does a gravity-powered vehicle work?

A gravity-powered vehicle works by using the force of gravity to pull the vehicle down an inclined surface. The potential energy stored in the vehicle's weight is converted into kinetic energy, causing the vehicle to move forward.

3. What is the 5 meter challenge for building a gravity-powered vehicle?

The 5 meter challenge for building a gravity-powered vehicle is a competition where participants are tasked with designing and building a vehicle that can travel a distance of 5 meters using only the force of gravity.

4. What materials are needed to build a gravity-powered vehicle?

The materials needed to build a gravity-powered vehicle may vary, but some common materials include a lightweight frame, wheels, axles, and a ramp or track for the vehicle to travel on. Other materials such as weights, springs, and pulleys may also be used to fine-tune the vehicle's performance.

5. What are some tips for building a successful gravity-powered vehicle?

Some tips for building a successful gravity-powered vehicle include keeping the vehicle as lightweight as possible, ensuring the wheels and axles are aligned and move smoothly, and experimenting with different weight distributions to find the optimal balance for maximum speed and distance. It is also important to carefully design and test the vehicle before the competition to make any necessary adjustments.