What is an HDD for TV and how can it upgrade your viewing experience?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cool Hdd
In summary, the conversation was about upgrading to a new DVD recorder/player with a HDD for recording. The speaker didn't realize the implications of an 80 Gig HDD for recording time and was unsure about the number of hours they could record. They mentioned trying to make things last and being excited about advances in technology. They also discussed high definition TVs and recorders, with one person mentioning using a computer as a DVR.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
We finally had to upgrade and buy a new DVD recorder/player for the TV. We were still using VHS, which died, so we got that with the DVD, but we also got a HDD, which I thought was just for the live pause. I didn't even realize at the time what an 80 Gig HDD meant for recording time; I noticed but didn't even think about the implications... only thinking in terms of price and features I guess.

So does anyone know if we get 40 Hrs or 20 Hrs, or does this normally come with recording speed selection. I didn't see one yet.

Anyway, we try to make things last. And I know that the longer we can hold out, the more we get when we do buy. So when we do finally have to replace items like recording devices and computers, the advances in technology are always so very cool.

Physics news on Phys.org
I use VHS stilll. I like to pop in a tape. Having a dvd is just weird.

What's cool are those high def Tv's. When I see that at the store I have to touch the screen just to make sure its not real. Its like you can reach in and grab what's on tv. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
We finally had to upgrade and buy a new DVD recorder/player for the TV. We were still using VHS, which died, so we got that with the DVD, but we also got a HDD, which I thought was just for the live pause. I didn't even realize at the time what an 80 Gig HDD meant for recording time; I noticed but didn't even think about the implications... only thinking in terms of price and features I guess.

So does anyone know if we get 40 Hrs or 20 Hrs, or does this normally come with recording speed selection. I didn't see one yet.

Anyway, we try to make things last. And I know that the longer we can hold out, the more we get when we do buy. So when we do finally have to replace items like recording devices and computers, the advances in technology are always so very cool.

I didn't realize they have high definition recorders already... or do they?

HD-DVD are only starting to be introduced to the market (still no content), and Blu-Ray isn't out yet. Since we have HDTV here, we obviously have been following this closely since the only high definitionn content we are getting now are TV signals (we have high def Direct TV). As far as I know, no recordable form of HD-DVD or Blu-Ray are out yet.

Zz.

I think Ivan is using "hdd" as an abbr for hard drive. He's talking about a regular pvr.

russ_watters said:
I think Ivan is using "hdd" as an abbr for hard drive. He's talking about a regular pvr.

Oy...

Zz.

Yes, hard drive, not high def...

It stopped recording at 24 hrs on EP. I was hoping for 40 hrs, but still...that's cool.

Last edited:
Crazy, Dish network has a dvr on which you can record 180 hours normal or 25 hours HD... That's a huge difference in file size :bugeye:

How do they manage that? That would take something like 150 Gig, or 50 DVDs.

Oh, do you mean that they are using a hard drive...?

Ivan Seeking said:
How do they manage that? That would take something like 150 Gig, or 50 DVDs.

Oh, they are using a hard drive...
DVR, not DVD-R ;)

Although I guess the term DVR in itself doesn't specify what medium it records on.

You can buy a TV tuner for your computer and with the right software turn your computer into a DVR.

dav2008 said:
DVR, not DVD-R ;)

Although I guess the term DVR in itself doesn't specify what medium it records on.

You can buy a TV tuner for your computer and with the right software turn your computer into a DVR.

Yes, at first I thought he meant DVD -RW.

What is a HDD for TV?

A HDD (Hard Disk Drive) for TV is an external storage device that is specifically designed to be connected to a TV. It allows you to store and play back media files such as movies, TV shows, and music directly on your TV.

How does a HDD for TV work?

A HDD for TV works by connecting the device to your TV via a USB or HDMI cable. Once connected, you can transfer media files from your computer or other devices onto the HDD. The TV can then access and play these files from the HDD.

What are the benefits of using a HDD for TV?

Using a HDD for TV allows you to easily expand your TV's storage capacity, making it possible to store a large amount of media files without taking up space on your TV's internal storage. It also allows for easy transfer and playback of media files from different devices.

What types of media files can be stored on a HDD for TV?

A HDD for TV can store a variety of media files including movies, TV shows, music, and photos. It is compatible with most popular video and audio formats, making it easy to play back your favorite media on your TV.

Are there any limitations to using a HDD for TV?

One potential limitation of using a HDD for TV is that it may not be compatible with all TV models. It is important to check the compatibility of the device with your TV before purchasing. Additionally, some older TV models may not support playing back certain file formats from the HDD.