Exploring Love: Defining the Meaning of a Universal Concept

In summary, the concept of love has been a source of confusion and ambiguity. Words are meant to convey thoughts and emotions, but without a clear understanding of their meaning, they can lose their intended purpose. Therefore, it is important for love to be defined between two people in order for it to be properly communicated. This definition should encompass both feelings and actions, as they are both essential aspects of love. And while defining love may seem to lessen its meaning, it is actually a way to understand and appreciate its complexity and significance in our lives.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
The human concept of love has been something that has puzzled me for some time now, but I must admit I've many a time used those three words that by observation of the world around me seem meaningless ("I love you")

I claim that words are a means of expressing thoughts, feelings, emotions, etc. to another person/people and without a proper agreement on the meaning of words, then the intended message cannot be conveyed. I also claim that if a common word such as "love" carries multiple ambiguous meanings, then it cannot convey an intended message to another person unless it is rigorously defined.

What I would like to discuss is - 1)Should love be defined between two people? 2)Should this definition be more attributed to feelings/emotions or actions? 3)Does defining love lessen the meaning of it?

I have opinions on all three of these and am excited to read all those who might reply. Thanks. :biggrin:

Jameson

Physics news on Phys.org
Jameson said:
What I would like to discuss is - 1)Should love be defined between two people? 2)Should this definition be more attributed to feelings/emotions or actions? 3)Does defining love lessen the meaning of it?

This is what i claim: Love in the meaning of -love for a woman- is a large flux of hormones in your brain.
the other type of love, love for the others, poor, illed, nerd etc. is another thing, it's derivated from compassion and our unstoppable needing to make the others happy.
however i think that a psychologist would answer better than anyone

If love is simply a hormonal response to a member of the opposite sex than isn't that nothing more than an infatuation or a sexual drive? This is how I think most people consider love and why it isn't something that can help sustain long relationships.

To say, "I love this or that", one must first understand the "I". To love is to value. It is the greatest tribute that the "I" pays to the "other".

Rade said:
To say, "I love this or that", one must first understand the "I". To love is to value. It is the greatest tribute that the "I" pays to the "other".

There is the love of hate. The love of no love. The love of self. The love of not loving the self. And so on.

Love is synomonous with survival.
If you didn't love yourself you'd be dead.
So many people expend so much energy hating themselves, yet, they are living large and complex lives.
This can only mean they are in love with life and with their ability to choose to hate, love, be indifferent etc...

Love is all you need... and... love is all you've got.

Its a very twisted and contradictory view... but, when you boil it down... every thing is a result of love.

How about Fear?

Do we love fear? Do we love fear enough to contemplate it? Yes. Fear is an intense energy expenditure as well. Fear will get you out of a jam... keep you out of a jam... and even get you through a jam. That's something to love about fear.

Loving fear is paramount to survival.

So... love, again... is the common denominator.

1. What is the definition of love?

The definition of love is a complex and often debated topic. However, in general, love can be described as a strong feeling of affection, care, and devotion towards someone or something.

2. Is love a universal concept?

Yes, love is considered to be a universal concept. It is a fundamental human emotion that is present in all cultures and societies. However, the ways in which love is expressed and understood may differ across cultures.

3. Can love be scientifically studied?

Yes, love can be studied scientifically through various fields such as psychology, biology, and neuroscience. Researchers use different methods, such as surveys and brain imaging, to better understand the complexities of love.

4. What are the different types of love?

There are many different types of love, including romantic love, familial love, platonic love, and self-love. Each type of love is characterized by different feelings and behaviors, but all involve a deep emotional connection to someone or something.

5. How does love impact our lives?

Love can have a profound impact on our lives. It can bring us joy, happiness, and fulfillment, but it can also bring pain and heartache. Love can influence our relationships, decision-making, and overall well-being.