What is a Magic Eraser and is it safe to use?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magic
In summary, the Magic Eraser is a white bar of foam used for erasing blemishes on hard surfaces. Despite rumors, it is not made of urea-formaldehyde, which has been illegal as an insulating material for years. It is made of melamine foam, which is not considered carcinogenic. However, it has been banned for use as insulation due to its ineffectiveness in that regard. It is commonly used as a soundproofing material and is safe for use around children. For more information, refer to reputable sources such as the ones mentioned above.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I have heard rumours that, while these Magic Erasers (a white bar of foam like a chalkboard eraser) are truly magic at erasing almost any sort of blemish from hard surfaces - they are made of urea-foraldehyde, which, as an insulating material in houses, has been illegal for years.

Does anyone have any information on this? Are they carcinogenic in this form?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry about it, I am sure your eraser will be finished off long before it can give you cancer. :rolleyes:

cyrusabdollahi said:
Don't worry about it, I am sure your eraser will be finished off long before it can give you cancer. :rolleyes:
Nono. They last forever. They don't wear down like rubber erasers.

Besides, these things are around children.

Rather than advice or reassurance, I'd prefer pointers to information so I can read up on it. Also means I can give references to others.

I had to look up what a magic eraser was. I never heard of it before. But here's what I found about what it's made of:
http://frugalliving.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=frugalliving&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sunpowerusa.com%2Fmiclfaq.html

And I got to that site from this one:
http://frugalliving.about.com/od/cleaning/a/magiceraser.htm

It's made of melamine foam. Depending on whether or not you trust the information at wikipedia, here's information from them about melamine and melamine foam.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine

Just to add to what I've gathered from those sites, it doesn't sound like it's carcinogenic. It sounds like it's been banned as an insulating material because it isn't any good as insulation, though it's good as soundproofing (that's the other major application of this foam I'm coming across on a google search).

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do Magic Erasers and uri-foam work?

Magic Erasers and uri-foam work by utilizing tiny abrasive particles and special polymers to create a micro-scrubbing surface. When used with water, the eraser's unique texture and composition allows it to effectively remove dirt, grime, and stains from surfaces.

2. Are Magic Erasers and uri-foam safe to use?

Yes, both Magic Erasers and uri-foam are generally safe to use. However, it is important to always follow the instructions and use caution when using them on delicate or painted surfaces. It is also recommended to wear gloves when using uri-foam as it may cause skin irritation for some individuals.

3. Can Magic Erasers and uri-foam be used on all surfaces?

No, Magic Erasers and uri-foam are not suitable for all surfaces. They should not be used on highly polished or glossy surfaces, as they may cause damage. It is always best to test a small, inconspicuous area before using them on a larger surface.

4. How long do Magic Erasers and uri-foam last?

The longevity of Magic Erasers and uri-foam depends on how often they are used and the surface they are being used on. Generally, they can be used multiple times before needing to be replaced. However, if they become heavily soiled or disintegrate, it is time to replace them.

5. Can Magic Erasers and uri-foam be used for cleaning anything other than household surfaces?

While Magic Erasers and uri-foam are primarily used for household cleaning, they can also be used for other purposes such as removing scuff marks from shoes or cleaning car interiors. However, they should not be used on skin or for personal hygiene purposes.