Photo Contest - A is for August (8/1-8/7)

In summary: A picture of me and my gf at a concert.:)In summary, the PF Photo Contest - "A" is for August! runs from 8/1-8/7. Members are allowed to submit one digital photo per contest. Pictures must be no more than 650 x 490 pixels in size, and must be posted in the relevant contest thread. At the end of the contest period, a poll will be opened to determine the winner.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
PF Photo Contest - "A" is for ... August! (8/1-8/7)

"A" is for ... August!

It's the first day of August, and we will do a contest that salutes the first letter of the alphabet. Your picture must prominently feature something that begins with the letter "A". You may want to point it out in case that it is not obvious.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a grey area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh jeeze! That's a good one, Chi Meson!

:)

Zz.

BobG said:
Was there a fireman standing outside your door?
No, that's Simon outside. Here http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g254/brichid1765/PF%20uploads/morewater.jpg" is a picture of him. It was a sad, wet day.:cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
OH NO! I just realized, my wife took that shot! It's not mine!

I think I have to withdraw it!:frown:

A is for my daughter; Autumn Rose :

http://home.comcast.net/~Integral50/Autumn2.JPG

Chi Meson said:
OH NO! I just realized, my wife took that shot! It's not mine!

I think I have to withdraw it!:frown:

Oh darn it!

Zz.

A is for Asleep
http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/7742/asleepfx6.jpg
That's my nephew when he was about 1 1/2 yrs old. He fell asleep on the dog bed (the "blanket" is the dog's towel), which was of course too cute to resist photographing before moving him to his own bed. For some reason, he's always completely tuckered out by the end of the day when his Auntie Moonbear visits. :biggrin:

cyrusabdollahi said:
That kids not wearing any pants!
Everyone's clothes were soakin' wet. Everyone (including the dog) was crying about something or another. One of those days.

Chi Meson said:
Everyone's clothes were soakin' wet. Everyone (including the dog) was crying about something or another. One of those days.

It's cool, I don't wear pants either. :cool:

Man, the pics of your kids keep getting better and better! :rofl:

Chi Meson said:

It kind of looks like the one in back is dripping pee.

- Warren

:rofl: There standing in front of a glass door. That's why. :rofl:

:rofl: I just realized, this is quickly turning into the cute kid picture contest.

I have a great picture I took from anelevator, of apool.

Evo said:
I have a great picture I took from anelevator, of apool.
:rofl: I think Zz is going to Zzzzzzap you for that one!

Moonbear said:
:rofl: I think Zz is going to Zzzzzzap you for that one!
Don't think it'll fly, huh? :frown:

How about aniguana?

Dammit, I don't think I have pictures of anything that starts with an A. Well, except that webcam shot of my, uhm nevermind. Nope, no A pictures.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Dammit, I don't think I have pictures of anything that starts with an A. Well, except that webcam shot of my, uhm nevermind. Nope, no A pictures.
:rofl: I think you need to get a pet aardvark.

This isn't fair if everyone is going to be using the small child-cute card. Of course, it's fair if I find a picture of my son...

A is for Acadia National Park. Here is a picture I took from the top of Cadillac Mountain looking down into Bar Harbor. There were 2 cruise ships in the harbor ferrying passengers into the town so they could buy overpriced trinkets from the natives. Unfortunately, since Maine is down-wind from the midwest smokestacks, the ozone level is usually quite high on summer days, and rarely do we get a nice clear day, thus the haze.http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/9028/acadiajw6.jpg

Evo said:
Be creative. Unless you are part of the space program, every picture you take features Air and you could always go the candlelight and music bit for Atmosphere, although you'll have to point those out.

A is for Acadia National Park. Here is a picture I took from the top of Cadillac Mountain looking down into Bar Harbor.
you should have rearanged it to be like this:

A is for Acadia National Park. Here is a picture I took looking down into Bar Harbor from the top of Cadillac Mountain.

then it would have been in alphabetical order

heres a joke:

A is for... "usera.imagecave.com/sjssjs/animalwithdrumkit.jpg"[/URL]

Anatolian

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/7022/drwhosmdf4.jpg

Your dog looks like a Jedi.

- Warren

GeoMike said:
A is for Ascending Mt. Adams (WMNF) via the Air Line Trail:

-GeoMike-

Er... I think that is stretching it way too much. You may want to try something else here because I'm inclined to not accept this.

Zz.

Ivan Seeking said:
http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/7022/drwhosmdf4.jpg
:biggrin:[/URL] I LOVE IT! :approve:

GeoMike said:

http://www.mcschell.com/img_4359rs.jpg

-GeoMike-

Is that http://www.botany.ubc.ca/bryophyte/LAB6b.htm" ?

GeoMike said:
ZapperZ said:
Er... I think that is stretching it way too much. You may want to try something else here because I'm inclined to not accept this.
Zz.
Hey, I think it's good. Mt. Adams begins with "A."

And I like the little cloud puff above the summit cairn.

Chi Meson said:
Hey, I think it's good. Mt. Adams begins with "A."

And I like the little cloud puff above the summit cairn.

Hum... Now that you mention it, you're right. It is good! So it's IN!

Now where's your picture, Chi Meson?

Zz.

larkspur said:
Is that http://www.botany.ubc.ca/bryophyte/LAB6b.htm" ?

I don't know (I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to flora). All I know is it's a type of lichen that is really prevalent in the area.

Zz: Thanks for changing your mind, but I removed the image anyway. Maybe it is too subjective. I don't want to be thought a cheater!
No biggie. I'll look for something with a more prominent A displayed! :biggrin:

-GeoMike-

GeoMike said:
I don't know (I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to flora). All I know is it's a type of lichen that is really prevalent in the area.

Zz: Thanks for changing your mind, but I removed the image anyway. Maybe it is too subjective. I don't want to be thought a cheater!
No biggie. I'll look for something with a more prominent A displayed! :biggrin:

-GeoMike-

You might want to keep it till you find a better one. However, I believe Chi Meson is correct. That was a suitable picture after all.

Zz.

I like Ivan Seeking's!