Need Major Help with Canal Lock Problem

• Thread starter geoffroy6885
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lock Major
In summary, the speaker is seeking help with an AP Physics problem and needs to explain the answer orally to their class. They provide a question about a sinking boat and ask for an explanation. The responder suggests an experiment to determine the answer and discusses two scenarios: a hand pushing the boat under water and a hole in the boat filling with water. They also mention a canal lock and recommend understanding how it works. The conversation ends with the speaker thanking the responder and stating that the problem was for their AP Physics B class.
geoffroy6885
As the title says, I need major help with a problem for my AP Physics class and I have to explain my answer orally to the class. Here is the question and if you could, could you answer it and follow up with an explanation? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here it is:

A boat in a canal lock sinks: does the water level rise, sink, or remain the same? Explain!

Physics news on Phys.org
try this: take a container full of water and then add something to it (like a toy boat perhaps?) and slowly submerge it. You will then get your answer to whether it sinks, floats or stays the same. If you are still having trouble describing why it happens, post back.

This depends on how the boat sinks.

If we are presuming an enormous hand came down and pushed it under the water, then think about it - what happens to the displacement of the boat, the volume of which it is beneath the surface?

If we are thinking however that the boat developed a hole, and the interior volume of the boat fills up with water, what would then happen to the amount of water it displaces?

Canal lock.. boat...Try and understand how canal lock works..

Ever read Jerome K. Jerome "Three in a boat?"

I have this - okay a canal lock is something that helps the boat travel through a dramatic change in the riverbed, that causes say a small waterfall - in this case that waterfall is surrounded by 2 gates
as a boat approaches the lock it (canal lock) fills up the water to match the waterlevel the boat is in right now. As it reaches that level, the gate opens and boat goes through. Then lock closes and waterlevel starts to drop - to match the 2nd waterlevel. As the required level is reached 2nd gate opens and "Voila!" the boat has just traveled through a lock, which acts in a way as an elevator.

In your case boat sinks -- hence water level sinks as well.

What grade physics was that problem anyway?

Thank you very much for all of your help, Poobel. I think I understand the question now. That was for my AP Physics B class.

No Problem

1. What is a canal lock?

A canal lock is a device used to raise and lower water levels in a canal in order to allow boats to travel through a series of different elevations. It consists of two gates that can be opened or closed to control the flow of water, as well as a chamber where boats can enter and be raised or lowered.

2. How do canal locks work?

Canal locks work by using the principle of gravity. When a boat enters the lock at a lower water level, the lower gate is closed and the upper gate is opened. Water from the higher level flows into the lock, raising the boat to the higher level. When the boat is ready to exit, the upper gate is closed and the lower gate is opened, allowing the water level in the lock to equalize with the lower level and the boat to continue on its journey.

3. Why is there a problem with the canal lock?

The problem with the canal lock could be caused by a number of factors, such as mechanical failure, structural damage, or debris blocking the gates. It is important to identify the specific cause of the problem in order to find the best solution.

4. What are the potential consequences of a canal lock problem?

If the problem with the canal lock is not addressed, it can lead to disruptions in boat traffic and potential damage to the lock and surrounding structures. This can also have a negative impact on the local economy and tourism industry, as well as the integrity of the entire canal system.

5. How can the canal lock problem be resolved?

The solution to the canal lock problem will depend on the specific cause of the issue. It may require repairs, maintenance, or replacement of certain components. Consulting with experts and conducting thorough inspections can help determine the best course of action to resolve the problem and prevent future issues.