Find Area of Polar Curve: Cos(6ǿ)

In summary, a polar curve is a type of graph that uses polar coordinates to plot points. The area of a polar curve can be found using the formula A = ½ ∫<sub>a</sub><sup>b</sup> r(θ)<sup>2</sup> dθ, where r(θ) is the polar equation and a and b are the starting and ending angles. The polar equation for Cos(6ǿ) is r = cos(6θ) and the area of a polar curve cannot be negative. Some real-life applications of finding the area of polar curves include engineering, physics, and astronomy, where it can be used to calculate surface areas, volumes, and orbits.
gr3g1
Hey guys,

I just wanted to know, if my polar curve is cos(6ǿ) and i have to find the length of one peddle... can i use the interval of 0 and Pi/12?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
One peddle? Oh! One "petal"! cosine goes from 0 to 0 between [itex]\pi/2[/itex] and [itex]\pi/2[/tex]. [itex]6\theta= \pi/2[/itex] when [itex]\theta= \pi/12[/itex].

I would recommend using -[itex]\pi/12[/itex] to [itex]\pi/12[/itex]. 0 to [itex]\pi/12[/itex] will only give half of a petal. Of course, if you are really clever, you could use 0 to [itex]\pi/12[/itex] and then multiply by 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, sorry, i meant petal :P
Thanks a lot

What is a polar curve?

A polar curve is a type of graph that is represented using polar coordinates, where the distance from the origin and the angle between the radius and the positive x-axis are used to plot points.

How do you find the area of a polar curve?

The area of a polar curve can be found by using the formula A = ½ ∫ab r(θ)2 dθ, where r(θ) is the polar equation of the curve and a and b are the starting and ending angles of the curve.

What is the polar equation for Cos(6ǿ)?

The polar equation for Cos(6ǿ) is r = cos(6θ), where r is the distance from the origin and θ is the angle between the radius and the positive x-axis.

Can the area of a polar curve be negative?

No, the area of a polar curve cannot be negative. The area is always a positive value, representing the amount of space enclosed by the curve.

What are some real-life applications of finding the area of polar curves?

Finding the area of polar curves can be useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It can be used to calculate the surface area of objects with rotational symmetry, such as satellite dishes or wind turbine blades. It can also be used to determine the volume of liquids in cylindrical tanks or to calculate the orbits of planets and comets in space.