Zeeman effect pattern, Intensities?

In summary, the Zeeman effect is the change in the spectral lines of an atom due to the interaction of an external magnetic field with the nucleus. The interaction of the field with the electron orbital levels causes the lines to shift, and this effect can be seen in the spectral lines of many elements.
neu
Im dong the zeeman effect for Mercury trasitions 3S1 --> 3P0/1/2 (Violet, Blue and Green lines).

I've taken CCD pictures of all lines in a weak B field and with polaroid placed parallel and perpendicularly, and produced graphs of pixel value v column number (intensity v horizontal position).

I cannot work out how to interpret the intensities. I've got the relative ratios from my data but they don't seem to be correct (well i don't know).

And i can't explain why the Blue pattern is missing it's central peak, ie there should be 7 transitions for 3S1 -->3P1 but graph only shows 6

http://www.breadnet.middlebury.edu/~PHManual/Photos/zeeman/fig4.gif

(From breadnet.middlebury.edu) a) is Blue pattern b) Green

Can somebody point me on the right path?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
neu said:
Im dong the zeeman effect for Mercury trasitions 3S1 --> 3P0/1/2 (Violet, Blue and Green lines).

. . . .

And i can't explain why the Blue pattern is missing it's central peak, ie there should be 7 transitions for 3S1 -->3P1 but graph only shows 6
What would those 7 be; from which levels in 3S1 to which levels in 3P1?

OlderDan said:
What would those 7 be; from which levels in 3S1 to which levels in 3P1?

J=1 in both shells so mj = -J,0,+J = -1,0,+1

Transitions,

mj= 1 -> mj = 1 Delta mj=0
mj= 0 -> mj = 0 Delta mj=0 <--This one is missing why?
mj=-1 -> mj =-1 Delta mj=0
mj= 1 -> mj =0 Delta mj=-1
mj= 0 -> mj =-1 Delta mj=-1
mj= 0 -> mj =1 Delta mj=1
mj=-1 -> mj =0 Delta mj=1

Thanks

Last edited:
neu said:
J=1 in both shells so mj = -J,0,+J = -1,0,+1

Transitions,

mj= 1 -> mj = 1 Delta mj=0
mj= 0 -> mj = 0 Delta mj=0 <--This one is missing why?
mj=-1 -> mj =-1 Delta mj=0
mj= 1 -> mj =0 Delta mj=-1
mj= 0 -> mj =-1 Delta mj=-1
mj= 0 -> mj =1 Delta mj=1
mj=-1 -> mj =0 Delta mj=1

Thanks
It is forbidden. See the very last paragraph of

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/hydazi.html

1. What is the Zeeman effect pattern?

The Zeeman effect pattern refers to the splitting of spectral lines in the presence of a magnetic field. This phenomenon was discovered by Dutch physicist Pieter Zeeman in 1896 and has since been used to study and understand the properties of atoms and molecules.

2. How does the Zeeman effect occur?

The Zeeman effect occurs when the energy levels of atoms or molecules are split into multiple sub-levels in the presence of a magnetic field. This is due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the magnetic moment of the particles, causing the energy levels to shift and split into distinct lines.

3. What factors affect the Zeeman effect pattern?

The Zeeman effect pattern is influenced by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the type of atom or molecule, and the orientation of the magnetic field with respect to the atom or molecule. Additionally, the number of electrons in the outermost energy level of the atom or molecule can also affect the pattern.

4. How are the intensities of the Zeeman effect pattern determined?

The intensities of the Zeeman effect pattern are determined by the relative strengths of the magnetic field and the interactions between the magnetic field and the particles. The stronger the magnetic field, the more distinct and intense the spectral lines will be.

5. What is the significance of studying the Zeeman effect pattern?

The study of the Zeeman effect pattern is important for understanding the properties and behavior of atoms and molecules in the presence of a magnetic field. It has also been used in various scientific fields, such as astronomy, to analyze the composition and properties of celestial objects and to further our understanding of the universe.