Direction Fields in Mathematica

In summary, The field function in Mathematica can be used to plot a direction field of a differential equation. The first argument is the equation and the second argument is the time or range of values. The third argument is the vector field. The fourth argument is the solution at a given time.
steelphantom
I just picked up a copy of Mathematica through Penn State, and I'm trying to figure out how to plot a direction field of a differential equation. For example, I have the differential equation [tex]dv/dt = 32 - 8v[/tex]

I've found http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/graphics/2d/directionfield.html" on Wolfram's site that shows you how to do it, but in the line
Code:
In[3]:= field=PlotVectorField[{1,Last[eqn]},{x,-2,2},{y[x],-2,2}]
kind of confuses me with the arguments that are used. I understand the second two sets of arguments (x and y arguments), but what's up with the first one {1, Last[eqn]}? Where did the 1 and Last come from?

Also, there's another page on Wolfram's site that displays the following as the format for the PlotVectorField function:
Code:
PlotVectorField[f, {x, x0, x1, (xu)}, {y, y0, y1, (yu)}, (options)]
What do (xu) and (yu) represent? The rest of it I understand (I think! :redface: ). Sorry for all of these questions. I'm definitely a Mathematica n00b and I think it's going to take a little getting used to. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all I suggest you always use the built in Mathematica documentation until you know lots and lots of what's in there.

The following code will do what you want:
Code:
(* Loads the Package *)

<< Graphics`PlotField`

(* The one is the t_component of the vector field and Last[
  Eqn] gives the right_hand_side of and equation i.e. the v_component. I put \
this in directly *)

Field = PlotVectorField[{1, 32 - 8v}, {t, 0, 10}, {v, -5, 5}]

(* Here is some more code that will impose a solutions on the vector field assuming that you also ran the code above*)

Show[Field, Plot[Evaluate[v[t] /. NDSolve[{v'[t] == 32 - 8v[t], v[0] == -6}, \
v, {t, 0, 20}]], {t, 0,
   10}, PlotStyle -> Red, PlotRange -> {{0, 10}, {-5, 5}}]]

Last edited:

Hello there,

I can definitely understand your confusion with the arguments used in the PlotVectorField function. Let me try to break it down for you.

Firstly, the {1, Last[eqn]} argument represents the vector field function. In this case, it is simply the vector <1, 32-8v>. The number 1 is used to represent the x-component of the vector, while Last[eqn] represents the y-component. In this case, eqn is the differential equation dv/dt = 32 - 8v, and Last[eqn] simply extracts the last part of the equation, which is -8v.

The (xu) and (yu) arguments represent the grid spacing for the x and y axes, respectively. This allows you to control the density of the vectors in the direction field. The larger the value, the more sparse the vectors will be, while a smaller value will result in a denser field.

I hope this helps to clarify things for you. Mathematica can definitely be overwhelming for beginners, but with practice and some guidance, you'll soon get the hang of it. Good luck!

1. What are direction fields in Mathematica?

Direction fields in Mathematica are graphical representations of solutions to differential equations. They show how the slope of a function changes at different points on a graph, giving insight into the behavior of the function.

2. How do I create a direction field in Mathematica?

To create a direction field in Mathematica, use the VectorPlot function. This function takes in the differential equation and a range of values for the independent variables, and plots arrows to show the direction and magnitude of the slope at each point.

3. Can I customize the direction field plot in Mathematica?

Yes, you can customize the direction field plot in Mathematica by using options such as VectorStyle and ScalingFunctions. These options allow you to change the appearance of the arrows and adjust the scaling of the plot, respectively.

4. How can I use direction fields to solve differential equations?

Direction fields can be used as a visual aid to solve differential equations. By examining the direction field, you can make educated guesses about the behavior of the function and determine important points such as critical points and equilibrium solutions.

5. Are there any limitations to using direction fields in Mathematica?

One limitation of using direction fields in Mathematica is that they can only be used for first-order differential equations. Additionally, direction fields may not accurately represent the behavior of the function for all values of the independent variables, as they are based on a finite number of points.