What is the velocity of an electron at t = 1.22 s, given its position function?

• Thread starter ncr7
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving the position and velocity of an electron at a given time. The first step is to find the x-component and y-component of the velocity, with the x-component being 3.56 m/s and the y-component being -8.10 m/s. However, there is confusion about finding the magnitude and angle of the velocity, with the magnitude being calculated as 13.06m but the correct answer being given as -79.79. Eventually, the correct method is determined by taking the derivative of the position function and solving for the x and y values, resulting in a negative angle due to the negative y-component.
ncr7
This should be a really easy problem but for some reason I keep getting the wrong answers.

The position of an electron is given by = 3.56t - 8.10t2 + 2.53, with t in seconds and in meters. At t = 1.22 s, what are (a) the x-component, (b) the y-component, (c) the magnitude, and (d) the angle relative to the positive direction of the x axis, of the electron's velocity ?

a) I got the answer to be 3.56 m/s
b) I thought was -8.10 m/s^2 but for some reason it is wrong or atleast this online homework is telling me it is
c) I used the magnitude function to find it for the time being 1.22s
sqrt(4.34^2 + (12.056)^2 + (2.53)^2) and I get 13.06m but it also tells me I am wrong with that.
d) then I can't find this out because I have the magnitude wrong. But if I did have it right I would have it to be arcCos(3.56/magnitude) right?

any help would be great thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
figured out part b and c as I got to the end of the problem I saw they wanted it in velocity so I had to take the derivative of r and then solve for x and y values.

I am still having trouble with d though...

I figured it out it ended up being a negative value because my y-component is negative which would make the magnitude of the vectors in the negative direction, and that gives me -79.79.

What is the problem that is bothering me?

The problem that is bothering you can vary depending on the situation. It could be a personal issue, a work-related problem, or a larger societal issue. It is important to identify and clearly define the problem in order to find a solution.

Why is this problem bothering me?

There can be many reasons why a problem is bothering you. It could be because it is causing you stress or anxiety, it is affecting your daily life, or it is causing conflicts with others. Understanding the root cause of the problem can help in finding a solution.

How can I solve this problem?

Solving a problem requires careful analysis and planning. You can start by breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Then, brainstorm possible solutions and evaluate each one. It may also be helpful to seek advice from others or seek out resources and information related to the problem.

What can I do if I can't find a solution to this problem?

If you are struggling to find a solution to a problem, it may be helpful to take a step back and look at the problem from a different perspective. You can also seek help from a trusted friend, family member, or professional who may offer a fresh perspective or provide guidance. Remember, it's okay to ask for help when needed.

How can I prevent this problem from happening again in the future?

After finding a solution to a problem, it's important to reflect on the steps taken and identify ways to prevent the problem from occurring again in the future. This could involve creating a plan or implementing changes in your behavior or environment to avoid similar issues in the future.