Current in DC Circuit: 8.41 x 10^19 Electrons in 2s

In summary, the problem is to find the current in a DC circuit given the number of electrons passing through a point in the circuit in two seconds. The equation used is (charge*#electrons)/time, with a value of 6.728 amps calculated. The conversion from number of electrons to amperes is done by dividing the number of electrons by the charge of one electron.
jst

Homework Statement

In a DC circuit 8.41 x 10^19 electrons travel through a point in the circuit in two seconds. What current is in the circuit?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure at all on this. I was thinking it would be something like (charge*#electrons)/time, but I don't have a value for the charge

The Attempt at a Solution

Would it possibly be: (6.241 509 629 152 65×10^18 * 8.41 x 10^19)/2Thanks,

Jason

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
6.241 509 629 152 65×10^18

This is how many electrons are needed for one coulomb of charge. What you want is to find the charge of one electron, if you are going to use your equation the way it is.

As I understand the problem you need to convert the number of electrons to amperes. The ampere is a coulomb/sec and 1 electron is 1.602e-19 coul. I get 6.75 amps.

1 ampere is 6.24x1018 electrons passing a point in a second. Since you know how many pass in two seconds you need to divide half the number given in the question by the number given in the definition.

EDIT: All posted in the same minute and I'm last :rolleyes: Figures

Thanks to everyone! It's funny, I think I might have figured out before reading your posts.

See what you think:

=((# of electrons)*(charge of electron))/time

=
((8.41*10^19)*(1.6*10^-19))/2

=6.728

...at least it maches up with one of the possible solutions :)

Thanks again,

Jason

It was right...big thanks to everyone.

Jason

1. How is current measured in a DC circuit?

In a DC circuit, current is typically measured using an ammeter, which is connected in series with the circuit. The ammeter measures the flow of electrons through the circuit and displays it in units of amperes (A).

2. What is the significance of the number of electrons in a DC circuit?

The number of electrons in a DC circuit is an important factor in determining the strength of the current. The more electrons that are present, the greater the current will be. Additionally, the number of electrons can also affect other properties of the circuit, such as resistance and voltage.

3. How does the number of electrons in a DC circuit affect its overall performance?

The number of electrons in a DC circuit is directly related to the current and can impact the circuit's performance in terms of power and efficiency. More electrons can result in a higher current, which can lead to increased power output. However, too many electrons can also cause issues such as overheating and damage to components.

4. Can the number of electrons in a DC circuit change?

In a closed DC circuit, the number of electrons remains constant. However, if the circuit is open or has a varying resistance, the number of electrons can change. For example, if a resistor is added to the circuit, it will decrease the number of electrons and therefore decrease the current.

5. How does the number of electrons in a DC circuit relate to the concept of charge?

The number of electrons in a DC circuit is directly related to the concept of charge. Electrons are negatively charged particles, and the total number of electrons in a circuit determines the overall charge of the circuit. The more electrons, the greater the charge and vice versa.