Finding angular acceleration as a function of time.

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the angular acceleration of a fan blade with given angular velocity. The suggestion is to differentiate and use calculus to find the correct answer. There is also a mention of the book being unhelpful and a minor disagreement between the two individuals.
Trojanof01
A fan blade rotates with angular velocity given by omega_z(t) = gamma - Beta(t)^2 .

Calculate the angular acceleration as a function of time.

I don't even know where to begin and my book is all but useless. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you serious?

Here's one idea: differentiate!

Well, if this was velocity and accelaration you could think of velocity as dv/dt and acceleration by d²v/dt², from this we could clearly go from one to the other...

Hey I'm sorry I'm not a physics genius like you are cepheid. I appreciate the help but I can do without the snide comments. Anyway, I was leaning toward differentiating and I tried it and came out with a wrong answer. Computations were probably inaccurate though.

Last edited:
Thanks, my calculus is a bit rusty and I integrated instead of differentiated...

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity with respect to time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's rotational speed is changing.

How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. In mathematical terms, it is represented as α = Δω/Δt, where α is the angular acceleration, Δω is the change in angular velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

What is the unit of angular acceleration?

The unit of angular acceleration is radians per second squared (rad/s²) in the SI system. In other systems, it can be expressed as revolutions per second squared (rev/s²) or degrees per second squared (deg/s²).

How does angular acceleration relate to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related through the radius of the object's rotation. The linear acceleration of an object is equal to the product of its angular acceleration and the distance from the center of rotation to the object (radius).

What factors can affect angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration can be affected by various factors such as the mass and distribution of the object, the force applied to the object, and the object's moment of inertia (a measure of its resistance to rotational motion). Friction and air resistance can also affect angular acceleration.