Calculating Force Applied to Input Piston in Hydraulic System

• Thread starter mike2007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydraulic
In summary, the load bearing piston in a hydraulic system has an area 50 times larger than the input piston. To balance a load of 6000N on the larger piston, a force of 120N must be applied to the input piston in order to maintain equilibrium. The formula used to determine this is F2/F1 = A2/A1, where F1 is the force on the input piston and A1 is the area of the input piston.
mike2007
The load bearing piston in a hydraulic system as an area 50 times as the the input piston. If the larger piston supports a load of 6000N, how large a force must be applied to the input piston?

Since the area is 50 times as large i used a ratio 10:50

Using the formula F2/F1 = A2/A1

6000/F1 = 50/10
6000/F1 = 5
F1 = 6000/5
= 1200N
I have no idea if i am anywhere close!

Physics news on Phys.org
The ratio should be 50:1, not 50:10. Otherwise, that would be how to find the force required on the input piston to balance out the 6000N on the output. If this was what you were looking for then this seems correct, except for the ratio mistake. I'm assuming you are looking for this equilibrium state. (The load is not supposed to be accelerated correct?)

Last edited:
Thats correct the load is not supposed to be accelerated and it should be in equilibrium state.
thank you

mike2007 said:
Thats correct the load is not supposed to be accelerated and it should be in equilibrium state.
thank you

Please notice that I didn't notice the mistake in you ratio the first time around. Check my edited first post again to make sure you see the mistake. Sorry for missing that. I should have been more observant. It's getting late here!

I see where i made the mistake but if the ratio is now 50:1, won't that change the answer to F1 = 6000/50 = 120N
?

mike2007 said:
...won't that change the answer to F1 = 6000/50 = 120N
?
That's correct.

1. What is the formula for calculating the force applied to the input piston in a hydraulic system?

The formula for calculating the force applied to the input piston in a hydraulic system is: Force = Pressure x Area. This means that the force applied is directly proportional to the pressure and the surface area of the input piston.

2. How do you determine the pressure in a hydraulic system?

The pressure in a hydraulic system can be determined by using a pressure gauge or by measuring the weight of a known amount of fluid in the system. It is important to note that the pressure in a closed hydraulic system is constant throughout.

3. What are some factors that can affect the force applied to the input piston in a hydraulic system?

The force applied to the input piston in a hydraulic system can be affected by factors such as the size and shape of the input piston, the pressure of the fluid, and the viscosity of the fluid. Additionally, any leaks or blockages in the system can also impact the force applied.

4. Can the force applied to the input piston be increased in a hydraulic system?

Yes, the force applied to the input piston in a hydraulic system can be increased by either increasing the pressure of the fluid or by increasing the surface area of the input piston. This is why hydraulic systems are able to provide a high amount of force with relatively small input pistons.

5. How can the force applied to the input piston be used to lift heavy objects in a hydraulic system?

The force applied to the input piston in a hydraulic system can be used to lift heavy objects by exerting pressure on the fluid, which then transfers the force to the output piston. The larger surface area of the output piston allows for a greater force to be exerted, making it possible to lift heavy objects with relatively small input pistons.