The Ehrenfest Rotating Disk Paradox: Exploring Circumference in a Lab Frame

In summary, while the Lorentz contraction does occur in the rotating disk paradox, it is counteracted by the forceful stretching of the disk, resulting in no change to the circumference when observed from the non-rotating lab frame. This is due to the fact that it is not possible to accelerate an object without also forcefully stretching or compressing it. Therefore, in the lab frame, the circumference remains at 2 pi r.
jimmd
I read the entry about the Ehrenfest rotating disk paradox on Wikipedia, but the entry does not actually answer my question about what happens to the circumference of the disk in the "resolution of the paradox" section.

All I want to know is what happens to the circumference of the rotating disk when observed from the non-rotating (lab frame) inertial reference frame? Is the circumference smaller than 2 pi r due to the Lorentz contraction? I have seen some relativity textbooks stating that the Lorentz contraction makes the circumference smaller by the factor 1/gamma, so that C = 1/gamma x 2 pi r.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
The short answer is that the circumference doesn't change. It is being Lorentz contracted by the usual gamma factor, but it's also being forcefully streched and the two effects cancel each other.

The easiest way to see that something like this must happen is to consider an instantaneous acceleration (a boost) of a rod, from velocity 0 to velocity v (almost c). Do the different parts of the rod accelerate at the same time? If they do, then at the same time in what frame? If they accelerate at the same time in the frame where the rod was at rest before the boost, then the front accelerates before the rear in the frame where it's at rest after the boost. If they accelerate at the same time in the other frame, then the rear accelerates before the front in the first frame.

It simply isn't possible to accelerate something without also forcefully stretching or compressing it. That's why people say that there are no rigid objects in SR. If you want to know more about this, look up "Born rigid".

jimmd said:
I read the entry about the Ehrenfest rotating disk paradox on Wikipedia, but the entry does not actually answer my question about what happens to the circumference of the disk in the "resolution of the paradox" section.

All I want to know is what happens to the circumference of the rotating disk when observed from the non-rotating (lab frame) inertial reference frame? Is the circumference smaller than 2 pi r due to the Lorentz contraction? I have seen some relativity textbooks stating that the Lorentz contraction makes the circumference smaller by the factor 1/gamma, so that C = 1/gamma x 2 pi r.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
There's no problem with the circumference in the lab frame - it's just 2 pi r.

The wordlines of the disk all wrap around a cylinder. When you slice this cylinder with the appropriate plane of simultaneity in the lab frame, you get a well-defined closed circle whose circumference is just 2 pi r, see the space-time diagram in the wikipedia article, i.e.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Langevin_Frame_Cyl_Desynchronization.png

As the wikipedia article points out, where people get confused is by thinking about the "rotating frame", which exists locally as a frame-field but not globally (i.e. you can't synchronize all the clocks on a rotating disk using Einstein's method, if you consider pairs of points that are picewise Einstein synchronized, this set of points does not form a closed curve).

However, if I understand your question, you are NOT asking about the confusing and ill-defined "rotating frame" but rather asking about the lab frame, and there is no problem there - the circumference in the lab frame is well defined and equal to 2 pi r.

Last edited:

1. What is the Ehrenfest Rotating Disk Paradox?

The Ehrenfest Rotating Disk Paradox is a thought experiment in which a disk is rotating at a constant angular velocity. This paradox explores the concept of circumference in a lab frame and how it changes in a rotating frame of reference.

2. How does the paradox demonstrate the concept of relativity?

The paradox illustrates the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference. In the rotating frame of reference, the circumference of the disk appears to be shorter due to the effects of centrifugal force. This contradicts the constant value of circumference observed in the lab frame, demonstrating the relative nature of measurements in different frames of reference.

3. What are the implications of this paradox?

This paradox has important implications for our understanding of relativity and the fundamental laws of physics. It challenges our intuition about the nature of space and time and highlights the need to consider different frames of reference in our measurements and observations.

4. How is this paradox relevant to real-world situations?

The principles illustrated in the Ehrenfest Rotating Disk Paradox have been applied in many real-world situations, such as the design of rotating structures and machinery. Understanding the effects of rotation on measurements and observations is crucial in these applications.

5. Can the paradox be resolved?

There is no definitive resolution to the Ehrenfest Rotating Disk Paradox, as it is a thought experiment and not a physical scenario that can be tested. However, the paradox can be reconciled by considering the principles of relativity and the effects of rotation on measurements. It also highlights the need for further research and understanding of the fundamental laws of physics.