What is the best IC for programmable pulse width control with a wide range?

In summary, the 3D7622 has a wide range of pulse widths that you can program with 22 bits of resolution. This chip is perfect for the job that you described.
Jdo300
Hello All,

I'm looking for a nifty chip that I can use to pro grammatically set the pulse width of a square wave signal in my circuit. The pulse width range I'm looking for is anywhere between 10 ns and 500 ns and so far, the only thing I have found is the DS1014 series ICs. They have the range that I need but they only have 5 discrete pulse widths in each chip. I was wondering if anyone here may know of another IC that has a similar range but with more settable pulse widths?

Thank you,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
10 ns is going to be rather tough for older chips like the 555.

What kind of resolution do you need on the pulse width?

- Warren

I'm pretty flexible in that matter. Since I would be programming that in. But just as a rough guess, maybe 5 ns steps?

- Jason O

I tried the 555 and the best I could get out of that was about 5 uS. Also, it will puke out on me if I try to drive it over 1 MHz.

- Jason O

5 ns steps... so you want many hundreds of distinct steps in there. Probably something like a 10-bit code?

I'd probably use a serial DAC to produce a aribtrary DC voltage, controllable by your computer. I'd use this voltage as a reference for a comparator.

I would use a current source to charge a capacitor, and, when the voltage of the capacitor exceeds the voltage set by the DAC, the comparator would trip.

The output of the comparator would then go to the reset input of an SR latch. The output of the latch is the pulse you're trying to generate.

So, in total: to trigger the thing, you apply a pulse on the set pin of the latch. The latch output goes high, enabling a current source which charges a cap. When the cap reaches the voltage you've set by the DAC, the latch resets, and the pulse stops.

You could get theoretically any resolution or range you could possibly want with this, and it'd only take perhaps five components.

- Warren

Hmmmm that sounds doable. Thanks for the help :smile:. OK I have another unrelated question but I'll make a new thread for it.

- Jason O

There are these "single shot" multivibrators that national sells, but it sounds like the same thing that chroot described, though the comparator stuff is all in one.

That sounds even better. For my application, I'm really cramped for PCB space so something like that chip would be nice. I looked it up and I think it is the DM54123 IC.

If I were to go with this, would I just pick a capacitor and then use the DAC in place of the resistor? could someone give me a suggested wiring diagram for this?

Thanks,
- Jason O

Oh by the way, maybe I could use a digital resistor in place of the DAC to drive this?

If you look at Figure 3 in the datasheet, they show a network using a potentiometer. The potentiometer is serving the same purpose as a DAC: to provide an adjustable voltage.

I don't know much about "digital resistors," but I assume you could them. You can also use digital potentiometers, like those made by Intersil.

- Warren

Hi Warren,

Thanks again for the tip. I'll definitely look into this method :smile:.

- Jason O

1. What is a programmable pulse width IC?

A programmable pulse width IC is a type of integrated circuit that allows for precise control of the width of electrical pulses. This can be useful in various applications, such as motor control, LED dimming, and pulse generation.

2. How does a programmable pulse width IC work?

A programmable pulse width IC typically consists of a timer and a digital-to-analog converter (DAC). The timer generates pulses with a specific frequency, and the DAC adjusts the voltage level of the pulses to control their width.

3. What are the benefits of using a programmable pulse width IC?

Using a programmable pulse width IC allows for precise and flexible control of pulse width, making it useful in a variety of applications. It also eliminates the need for external components, simplifying the circuit design and reducing costs.

4. How is a programmable pulse width IC programmed?

A programmable pulse width IC can be programmed through a variety of methods, including using a microcontroller, setting the appropriate registers, or using an external programming tool. The specific method will depend on the IC's design and manufacturer.

5. What are some common applications of a programmable pulse width IC?

Programmable pulse width ICs are commonly used in motor control, power supplies, LED lighting, and pulse generation for sensors and instrumentation. They can also be used in audio applications, such as generating square waves for tone generation.