I need quick help with french and decimal seconds

• Thread starter kevinf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Seconds
In summary, the person is asking for help in calculating the ratio between French decimal seconds and standard seconds, but their initial attempt of 100000/86400 was incorrect. They also mention the possibility of different decimal separators in different European countries.
kevinf
i need help on how to calculate the ratio of french decimal seconds to standard seconds. i got 100000/86400 but it was wrong. can anyone help

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you asking about here?

Are you talking about the "decimalization of time" after the French revolution in 1789, when they created a new calender, introduced clocks with 10 hours per day, etc? In which case I don't know the answer, but it should be in some history websites.

Or do you mean the fact that some European countries write "comma" instead of "point" and vice versa, so the number "one million ... point eight nine" is written 1,234,567.89 (UK, US, etc) or 1.234.567,89 (France, Germany, etc).

Calculating the ratio of French decimal seconds to standard seconds can be a bit confusing, but with some practice, you will be able to master it. First, it's important to understand that French decimal seconds are based on a decimal system, while standard seconds are based on a sexagesimal system (60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour, etc.).

To calculate the ratio, we need to convert the French decimal seconds into standard seconds. This can be done by multiplying the decimal seconds by 60, as there are 60 seconds in a minute. So, if we have 1 French decimal second, it would be equivalent to 60 standard seconds (1 x 60 = 60).

Now, to find the ratio, we divide the number of French decimal seconds by the number of standard seconds. In this case, it would be 1/60 or 0.01667. This means that for every 1 French decimal second, there are 0.01667 standard seconds.

In your example, you got 100000/86400, which is not the correct ratio. This is because 86400 is the number of standard seconds in a day, not in a minute. So, the correct calculation would be 100000/60, which equals 1666.67. This means that for every 1 French decimal second, there are 1666.67 standard seconds.

I hope this helps you understand how to calculate the ratio of French decimal seconds to standard seconds. Keep practicing and you will become more comfortable with it. Good luck with your studies!

1. What are decimal seconds in French?

Decimal seconds, or décimales de seconde in French, is a way of measuring time in fractions of a second. It is commonly used in sports and scientific measurements.

2. How do I convert decimal seconds to traditional seconds in French?

To convert decimal seconds to traditional seconds in French, simply multiply the decimal by 60. For example, 0.5 décimales de seconde would be equivalent to 30 traditional seconds.

3. Can you give an example of using decimal seconds in French?

Sure, in sports, a race time of 10.25 seconds would be written as 10 secondes et 25 décimales de seconde in French.

4. How do I write decimal seconds in French?

In French, decimal seconds are written with a comma, instead of a period, to separate the whole and decimal parts. For example, 5.75 seconds would be written as 5,75 secondes in French.

5. Why are decimal seconds used in French?

Decimal seconds are used in French to provide a more precise measurement of time, especially in sports and scientific contexts where traditional seconds may not be precise enough.