The Four Fundamental Force Equations

In summary: Fundamental_interaction and you'll see something for Weak interaction (i confess i do not know the physics of it myself).You have the static electrical force, but left out the magnetic force:F=qv x Brbj - I'm not sure why the negative sign is there. I got those equations from the wikipedia page for "Force", and they both have negative signs. I also already checked the "Weak Interaction" wikipedia page and it shows a "Long-Distance Behavior"; but it also shows simply \frac{1}{r^{2}} as the equations for Electromagnetic and Gravitation. I also
Rahmuss
So, here is what I have:

Gravitation
[tex]
F = -G\frac{m_{1}m_{2}}{r^{2}}
[/tex]

Weak Interaction
[tex]
?
[/tex]

Electromagnetism
[tex]
F = -\frac{q_{1}q_{2}}{4\pi \epsilon_{o}r^{2}}
[/tex]

Strong Interaction
[tex]
?
[/tex]

I'm thinking of all of these things as actual calculable forces; but I cannot find the equation I would use to calculate the force for each of the nuclear forces. It seems like searching online I'm seeing a few different equations that people might be trying to use. What am I missing? I'm just looking for the four fundamental force equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rahmuss said:
So, here is what I have:

Gravitation
[tex]
F = -G\frac{m_{1}m_{2}}{r^{2}}
[/tex]

Weak Interaction
[tex]
?
[/tex]

Electromagnetism
[tex]
F = -\frac{q_{1}q_{2}}{4\pi \epsilon_{o}r^{2}}
[/tex]

why is there a negative sign here? like-signed masses attact, but like-signed electric charges repel.

Strong Interaction
[tex]
?
[/tex]

I'm thinking of all of these things as actual calculable forces; but I cannot find the equation I would use to calculate the force for each of the nuclear forces. It seems like searching online I'm seeing a few different equations that people might be trying to use. What am I missing? I'm just looking for the four fundamental force equations.

check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_interaction and you'll see something for Weak interaction (i confess i do not know the physics of it myself).

You have the static electrical force, but left out the magnetic force:

F=qv x B

rbj - I'm not sure why the negative sign is there. I got those equations from the wikipedia page for "Force", and they both have negative signs. I also already checked the "Weak Interaction" wikipedia page and it shows a "Long-Distance Behavior"; but it also shows simply [tex]\frac{1}{r^{2}}[/tex] as the equations for Electromagnetic and Gravitation. I also had a question on how they say that Quantum Mechanics can explain the three stongest forces; but not gravity, though it has made an attempt to, which fails. What exactly is the proof that it fails to explain gravity? Their theories and attempts are including the theoretical graviton particle I'm assuming; but I can't quite seem to catch why they can't prove it. I guess on that point I'm looking for a page which shows a kind of attempt at using Quantum Mechanics to explain gravity (but obviously fails). And maybe this is a topic for the Advanced Physics section. If anyone feels they should move it, that's ok.

This is a topic that fascinates me. I would like to see the work that has been done in attempting to unify these forces.

Loren Booda - Ok, thanks. I guess that makes sense. Would I combine that as a simple sum of forces? Also, is there a different form for that equation that is easier to plug and play various quantities?

1. What are the four fundamental forces?

The four fundamental forces are gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. These forces are responsible for all interactions between particles in the universe.

2. How are these forces represented in equations?

Each of the four fundamental forces has a corresponding equation that represents the strength and behavior of the force. For example, the equation for gravity is F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two interacting objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. Why are these equations considered fundamental?

These equations are considered fundamental because they describe the most basic and universal interactions in the universe. They are the building blocks for understanding the behavior of matter and energy at a fundamental level.

4. How do these equations relate to each other?

The four fundamental force equations are interconnected and work together to govern the behavior of particles in the universe. For example, the strong nuclear force holds atomic nuclei together, while the weak nuclear force is responsible for radioactive decay. Electromagnetism holds atoms together and governs all chemical reactions, while gravity is responsible for the large-scale structure of the universe.

5. Are these equations complete and fully understood?

While these equations have been extensively studied and tested, there is still ongoing research to fully understand and unify all four forces into a single theory. Some theories, such as string theory, attempt to explain the relationship between these forces on a more fundamental level.