Ducted Fan Propulsor/Generator

• Thread starter Turbofrog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fan
In summary, the airship designer is trying to figure out if it would be feasible to have a propeller that generates power when it needs it, but can also be used to generate electricity when tethered. He is unsure about the mechanics and aerodynamics, but is hopeful that a ducted fan would make the most sense for the application.
Turbofrog
So I'm working on a thesis project at the moment designing an airship, and I've run into a bit of a stumbling point.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to have a propeller that works to produce propulsive power when it needs to fly, but when the craft is tethered could operate as an electricity-generating wind turbine. The electrical system is definitely capable of it, but what I'm unsure about are the mechanicals (i.e. the gearbox and operational rpm ranges for both different applications), and more importantly the aerodynamics.

I've read that ducted fans are more efficient for propulsion, but to be honest, I'm not exactly sure why. Obviously the effects of the duct on the aerodynamic flow around the propeller would have a big impact on the efficiency of it as a generator, and I'm not sure whether they would be positive or negative.

I have some reading to do on actuator disc theory and fluid dynamics, but I must say I'm in over my head (I'm an industrial designer, not an engineer, by trade, so this entire thesis has been a serious crash course in the fun math and physics side of things).

At the moment I'm not too overly concerned about the specifics so much as a basic idea of whether or not it's feasible.

I greatly appreciate any help, and thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
an airship needs to be light weight
batterys are heavy
so I fail to see a big gain from electricity-generating wind turbine

but a ducted fan could make power
the main gain is from reduced tip drag votex drag
vairable pitch props should solve the gear/rpm problem

Thanks for the reply.

Instead of using heavy batteries as accumulators, the plan is to use a hybrid H2-air fuel cell/supercapacitor system to smooth out the input from solar cells and the wind turbine before it goes to the inverter. If hydrogen is used as the lift gas, then there's an ample supply for the fuel cell, and it can be over-inflated at tethered altitudes to provide enough buffer capacity, since it doesn't need the additional air volume in the ballonets to provide the pressure height (which should free up about 10% of the available internal volume...that's huge).

Variable pitch props make sense. My only real concern was whether the actual duct design would be dramatically different for use as a propulsor or as a generator. But from what I've been able to find, they both use a roughly airfoil-shaped profile - ducted wind turbines have a much more significant flare towards the outlet, but I think that might partly be because drag isn't a factor on a static turbine.

What is a Ducted Fan Propulsor/Generator?

A Ducted Fan Propulsor/Generator is a type of propulsion system that uses a ducted fan to produce thrust and generate electricity simultaneously. It is commonly used in aircraft, drones, and other vehicles that require both propulsion and power generation.

How does a Ducted Fan Propulsor/Generator work?

The system works by using a fan, enclosed in a duct, to suck in air and accelerate it. The accelerated air then exits through a nozzle at high speed, creating thrust. At the same time, the rotation of the fan blades drives a generator, producing electricity.

What are the advantages of using a Ducted Fan Propulsor/Generator?

One major advantage is its efficiency in both propulsion and power generation. The ducted design allows for better use of available energy, resulting in increased thrust and electricity production. It also produces less noise and is more compact compared to other propulsion systems.

What are the applications of a Ducted Fan Propulsor/Generator?

Ducted Fan Propulsor/Generators are commonly used in unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), such as drones, for their ability to provide both propulsion and power. They are also used in small aircraft and personal air transportation vehicles. Additionally, they have potential applications in marine vessels and ground vehicles.

What are the challenges of using a Ducted Fan Propulsor/Generator?

One challenge is the high cost of development and production. Another challenge is the additional weight and complexity of the system, which can affect the overall performance of the vehicle. Furthermore, the ducted fan design may limit the speed and maneuverability of the vehicle.