Are complex variables used in physics

In summary, there are many applications of complex variables in physics, such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. They are commonly used in various fields and also in electrical engineering and signal processing. A complex variables course can be helpful in understanding concepts like Euler's formula, contour integration, and Residue Theory. Additionally, complex analysis is closely related to physics, as seen in the work of Stephen Hawking. Allowing time to assume complex values can provide insight into various types of functions.
Benzoate
I'm thinking of taking an introduction to complex variables course as an elective for my applied math major(or minor). Are their any applications of complex variables in physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are various applications of complex variables in physics, ranging from electromagnetism to quantum mechanics. Whether you need a full mathematics course in Complex Analysis for physics is another matter entirely.

They are use all the time. Very common in many physics fields.

there is also something called a contour integral that is used in a number of physics applications that you would learn in complex analysis.

Well i see them used all the time. I took a complex variables course already and it hasnt helped me too much, but i expect that it eventually will. It reall helped me in my math methods class.

besides physics, we use them in electrical engineering and signal processing to describe and manipulate AC signals. i think that the class short circut took will become useful if he/she does anything reasonably sophisticated with complex variables. everybody needs to know about Euler's formula, contour integration, and Residue Theory.

the equilibrium temperature distribution in a disc, and the electrostatic potential in a charge free region are examples of functions in physics which are solutions to laplace's differential equation. such functions are called harmonic functions.

a complex analytic function is precisely a complex valued function whose real and imaginary parts are conjugate harmonic functions. thus physics and complex analysis are intimately related.

stephen hawking is famous for physical theories allowing time to assume complex values. the idea is that any analytic function at all, e.g. polynomial, trig function, implicitly defined algebraic function,... all are illuminated by allowing them to assume complex values both in domain and range.

Last edited:

What are complex variables?

Complex variables are numbers that have both real and imaginary components. They are typically represented in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i being the square root of -1.

How are complex variables used in physics?

Complex variables are used in physics to describe physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are especially useful in describing waves and oscillations, as well as in the fields of electromagnetism and quantum mechanics.

Why are complex variables useful in physics?

Complex variables allow for mathematical operations and representations that are not possible with real numbers. They also provide a powerful tool for solving differential equations and other complex problems in physics.

Are complex variables necessary for understanding physics?

No, complex variables are not necessary for understanding physics. However, they can greatly simplify and enhance mathematical models and calculations in certain areas of physics.

Are complex variables used in all areas of physics?

No, complex variables are primarily used in the fields of electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and wave phenomena. They may also be used in other areas of physics, but are not as commonly utilized.